Rukka suit ( hot weather)

I've tried merino wool, EDZ suits (and something that looks exactly the same called Cool T), and base layer stuff from Lidl.

The merino wool is really comfortable 90% of the time but when it's been really hot and sweaty it got overwhelmed. The best stuff for really hot weather was the EDZ under either a mesh suit or well ventilated suit WITHOUT a gore-tex layer (or similar). All those membranes sell themselves as being windproof as well as waterproof. You don't want windproof when you're relying on the breeze to evaporate the sweat to cool you down. My favourite kit for hot weather is an original Hein Gericke Tuareg suit (with the removable goretex out, obviously) or a newer HG Air Mesh suit.

The EDZ/Cool T wicks the sweat away from your skin so you don't feel like you're soaked while the sweat evaporates from the outer layer. That's what I understand, anyway. When it gets really hot, taking your jacket or trousers off and sitting in the breeze makes you feel almost chilly!

The Lidl base layer kit is way cheaper and very nearly as efficient. Some of it is sold as motorbike kit, some as skiing kit, but it all seems the same.

When it got REALLY hot (40 plus) a couple of years ago, I took to damping a neck tube in petrol stations or cafe toilets. Kept me cool for up to an hour.

All of that sweating will dehydrate you, so it's absolutely essential to drink as much as you can. And then drink some more. Water or those isotonic drinks seem best.

I’m just back back from from a failed attempt at the RDGA (bike packed up). I wore full leathers with Dainese D-Core Aero base layers. I thought they were excellent, wick sweat away very well and keep you cool up to a point. When the temp gets into the 30s your going to be hot anyway. Just make sure you drink loads.

Here is how the old timers do it.
c9fe4fa676c926d0fc603e852955cf64.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

151’s are a similar product to Pro Skins, based near Brands Hatch, and are popular in the BSB paddock. Work extremely well under leathers.

I've had several mesh suits over the years and the Rev'it Tornado is flavour of the month at the mo. I ride a GSA and in really hot conditions the earlier advice of soaking the jacket and/or T shirt in water at regular intervals works brilliantly. Lower the screen and get the wind flow on the wet clothing and jobs a good'un. Never suffered from heat stroke or dehydration as some say. In my opinion anything over 25 degrees a mesh suit is perfect. Never ride in black gear, I use the silver surfer version and find it cooler than black kit.

I was in France last weekend and it was touching 40C at times.

I have a Rukka Forsair Pro jacket which flows air like a champ. It literally feels like you are riding down the road in only a t-shirt from an airflow perspective. The only problem is that if you are riding in a t-shirt at 40C, it's still 40C.

Wetting it works well - for a while. That's the evaporative cooling thing.

I used a Halvarssons mesh top underneath and that was also good.

One of our party almost collapsed from the heat after a 2 hour segment. On closer inspection, it was apparent that her "vented" leather jacket actually only vented onto the outside of a non removable waterproof liner. Stupid and worthless design meant she was basically boiling in the bag.

Anyway. I think I will pick up one of those Macna Dry vests tomorrow from Motolegends. I'll be out on the bike all day tomorrow and Saturday and both are going to be warm, so we will see how it works.

(Edited to add....a Rukka Nivala suit is the wrong choice for mid 40s in Spain. Even with no screen and all vents open. I found that out last year when the weather was shit when we left and I left the Forsair behind)

I’ve been wearing a Knox armoured mesh shirt under a loose sweatshirt or thin cotton jacket, lightweight and great airflow.

When we were in France a couple of weeks ago, temps hit late 30’s at times. Rukka Forsair jacket and Stretchair trousers performed flawlessly, along with some wicking T-shirts from Mountain Warehouse run under the tap at lunchtimes.

I'm off to France on Monday. I am taking my wicking shreddies and will be wringing them out into my Camelbak.

To wear underneath?

Anything that will wick sweat away.

Top of the pile comes Merino wool. Then the synthetics. Merino wool will work fine when the temperatures drop, too. Buy and use with absolute confidence. Looked after, it will last for years.

Can one get merino under crackers? ....asking for a friend of course.:augie

Can one get merino under crackers? ....asking for a friend of course.:augie

EDZ make merino boxers.
I'm not a fan of tight underwear, but bought a couple of pairs to try, they're great.

Back
Top Bottom