Loose Spokes

midnight runner

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I took my September 2017 GS Adventure for new tyres to my dealers. The bike has done 13500 miles.

I'd had previous concerns ( reported to them last year ) of a loose spoke problem. I was carefully checking and adjusting and thought I'd got on top of any potential problems. I've obviously read numerous threads on the forum on the same subject so I was vigilant in my regular checks.

Fast forward to yesterday when I had the tyres fitted. Service guy and technician came to me and said they were replacing both wheels.
It's obviously a known issue and it's good to know that my dealer raised the issue without any mention from me on this occasion. They said the new wheels should be fine...….I will continue to regularly check.

So just a heads up guys to keep your eyes on your own and maybe ask for another check next time your in the dealers.

Mine was serviced (@1600 miles) last week and they reported one spoke didn't "ping" so they adjusted it.

I too will be keeping an eye out.

Mine was serviced (@1600 miles) last week and they reported one spoke didn't "ping" so they adjusted it.

I too will be keeping an eye out.

my mate has spokes, I checked his last week, same result only one did not ping, but he reported it to his dealer.............;) he was not even aware of the problem.

If my bike had only come with spoked wheels i would not have bought it. I will never be off road (unless im in a hedge having crashed ) so no need for spoked wheels.

Yeah but it’s all about the look :green gri :blast :D

yes spoke wheels look the business if a pain in the arse to clean

Cleaning? It's all about attitude. A GS is supposed to be dirty, it's part of the image :aidan

When we roll up to Starbucks, it's sooo much cooler to arrive on a dirty bike :bounce1

Cleaning? It's all about attitude. A GS is supposed to be dirty, it's part of the image :aidan

When we roll up to Starbucks, it's sooo much cooler to arrive on a dirty bike :bounce1

Nice and dusty bike, and local starbucks style in this area.

I've just started watching "The Long Way Round" again on Netflix. Just because I can. Anyway, I've only got to ep. 2. In it, while they're preparing their bikes I noticed that they cable-tie their spokes where they cross. While they do it, they look skyward and say something like: "I don't even know why I'm doing this, I'm told it's a BMW thing".

Curious......

I've just started watching "The Long Way Round" again on Netflix. Just because I can. Anyway, I've only got to ep. 2. In it, while they're preparing their bikes I noticed that they cable-tie their spokes where they cross. While they do it, they look skyward and say something like: "I don't even know why I'm doing this, I'm told it's a BMW thing".

Curious......

I don't know about the BMW thing, but the cable-tie thing is to prevent a broken spoke from being thrown sideways and cause damage.

In the -70 -and -80's broken spokes where not un-common. The spokes usually broke at the end, where they where bent at an 90 degree angle.

BMW spokes are straight, no bends, and I have yet to see a broken spoke on a BMW wheel (unless there is an accident).

But lots of people have been cable-tying the spokes, so I guess they got the tip from someone, without quite knowing why (which the statement suggest)

Curious......

Must try that on my alloys to see if it looks cool..................:hippy

I had both wheels replaced last year due to spokes. Took a few days due to supply.

My dealer seems to check them each service even on the replacement ones

Just had my 2018 Rallye TE serviced at Jeffries and 7 spokes found loose on the front wheel.

They just tightened them so I’m hoping they will be ok going forwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom