Best alternative LOUD horn?

I use my horn when approaching roaming sheep on moorland roads

Quick blast of the horn a couple of hundred yards from them, sends them scattering away to the fells = clear tarmac and no need to brake

Horns are good for shooing livestock

Or panicking them :D

There are certainly arguments for and against loud horns theres no doubt, but given the choice id rather have a loud one and be able to use it if required than not have one at all.

Or panicking them :D

Do it from a few hundred yards and they're fine with it

On the tops I always do it now, whether solo or leading a ride

Works every time and sends them off the road and onto the fells

Very effective

Better than happening upon them and then spooking them

Get your intentions to pass in first and job done

Try it

It works

No doubt JB .... but where animals are concerned I'd rather quite simply slow down ;)

Have to say I'm with you there. I rarely, if ever use a horn to scare animals and slowing down is the best policy....here says the idiot (me) who, over the years, in varying circumstances has managed to hit a bat, pheasant, sheep, fox and a bullock....admittedly the latter was whilst riding through thick fog on a single track lane and when it saw my headlamp approaching, it charged me and raked the front and side of the bike. Result was two broken fingers and a plastic pannier which was last seen on the end of and angry bullock's horn as it galloped off up the road! Oh, one forgotten one...a muntjac hit at close on 70mph whilst riding my KTM Duke home one evening after a longish ride. A horn wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference here. It sprinted out from undergrowth and I hit it square on. It launched the bike into an impromptu jump over about 20 ft with the bars tank sllapping...how I never came off beats me, as does the fact the bike was totally undamaged save for some fur and skin trapped in one fork leg. The deer was dead, eviscerated, and would have known nothing about it. I consider myself to be very very lucky. I now ride way slower through wooded areas, especially dawn or dusk times.

Have to say I'm with you there. I rarely, if ever use a horn to scare animals and slowing down is the best policy....here says the idiot (me) who, over the years, in varying circumstances has managed to hit a bat, pheasant, sheep, fox and a bullock....admittedly the latter was whilst riding through thick fog on a single track lane and when it saw my headlamp approaching, it charged me and raked the front and side of the bike. Result was two broken fingers and a plastic pannier which was last seen on the end of and angry bullock's horn as it galloped off up the road! Oh, one forgotten one...a muntjac hit at close on 70mph whilst riding my KTM Duke home one evening after a longish ride. A horn wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference here. It sprinted out from undergrowth and I hit it square on. It launched the bike into an impromptu jump over about 20 ft with the bars tank sllapping...how I never came off beats me, as does the fact the bike was totally undamaged save for some fur and skin trapped in one fork leg. The deer was dead, eviscerated, and would have known nothing about it. I consider myself to be very very lucky. I now ride way slower through wooded areas, especially dawn or dusk times.
Given your track record I am going to politely disregard any advice you may offer

Personally I just follow a simple rule - if you can't slow down quick enough just aim for their backside, because very few animals run backwards when startled.

Given your track record I am going to politely disregard any advice you may offer

Personally I just follow a simple rule - if you can't slow down quick enough just aim for their backside, because very few animals run backwards when startled.

I don't blame you...I didn't trust me after I couldn't even avoid a bleedin' great bullock! In my defence, I was a young lad in my 20's...and probably deserved it for riding an R65 ;)

In all seriousness, the pheasant appeared from nowhere and flew across my path...no avoiding that one. The bat somehow managed to spreadeagle itself across my chest as it was a hot evening and my leather jacket was partially zipped. The comedy effect to passers by as I stopped and frantically tried to disentangle the evil little vampire from myself must have caused some amusement. The sheep was on Exmoor and that one was my fault...riding only at 40mph but it was the failure to anticipate the fact a car coming the other way at speed would startle the lone sheep who ran up the road toward me (me thinking it would stay on the moor on it's own side) only to change what little mind it had and cut across me. My bad. The fox was another one that wasn't anticipated....rode round a corner and there it was on the road, already roadkill. Slower and I could have avoided it. The bullock wasn't on me as I was stationary, as I had already slowed to a stop and the damned thing just ran at me. On a single track lane you don't have time to do a 3 pointer and clear off when that happens!

When I got my 2017 K16GT, the first time I used the horn I nearly shat myself. :eek:

It’s so bloody loud compared to the previous versions. I don’t know why they don’t fit that to other bikes in the range.

Wonder if the k16 horn works on the r1200 range

The soundbomb looks a pain to fit but the soundbomb mini looks simple. Is the mini much better than the stock horn, do you need the 120db of the soundbomb against the 113db of the mini?

The soundbomb looks a pain to fit but the soundbomb mini looks simple. Is the mini much better than the stock horn, do you need the 120db of the soundbomb against the 113db of the mini?

Id like to know too, the oem horn is a really weedy fecker of a thing.

I used a Audi A6 horn and the sound is way better than the original, although the canbus plug is a little different from the bmw one

You need a bigger horn

93031e291b0d8762c300a8f8a8f7b783.jpg

Back
Top Bottom