Best alternative LOUD horn?

Bob Jeffries

It's good to be back ..
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I would like to make the horn on my 1200 LC audible to others, not just me on the bike!

Alternatives I'm considering are:

Denali Sound Bomb
Stebel Nautilus Compact
Stebel TM 80 Magnum
Wolo Bad Boy

Any thoughts or others to consider?

The Denali Sound Bomb is loud, and easy to fit with the bespoke bracket - it's been useful to me on a number of occasions.
The Sound Bomb Split is harder to fit and has no benefit I can see - I sent mine back.

The Sound Bomb Mini isn't very loud, according to reviews.

I would like to make the horn on my 1200 LC audible to others, not just me on the bike!

Denali Sound Bomb
Stebel Nautilus Compact
Stebel TM 80 Magnum
Wolo Bad Boy

Yes, the Horn from a BMW E34 5 Series. Simply plugs in and has a deeper and louder sound. I paid £14 from ebay.

Yes, the Horn from a BMW E34 5 Series. Simply plugs in and has a deeper and louder sound. I paid £14 from ebay.
Do you take the existing horn out and slot this in plug and play, no brackets etc?

I saw a YouTube video of the E34 horn option and it's obviously a simple and cheap solution.

But he came to the conclusion that although it has a deeper sound, and seems louder, when he did a dB meter comparison there was little difference in actual volume.

If I'm going to go to the trouble of fitting a new horn I want it to be LOUD!

Denali Sound Bomb
Stebel Nautilus Compact
Stebel TM 80 Magnum
Wolo Bad Boy

Denali Sound bomb, frightens children, animals and every other fecker within a 50 yard radius! A little bulky but easy to fit and there are enough nooks and crannies on most bikes to lose it somewhere. Do NOT test it in an enclosed space without ear protection of some sort! :thumb

I fitted one to my Rocket 3 as the OEM horn on such a big, bruising bike sounded like a dying mouse farting in the fog

Denali Sound bomb, frightens children, animals and every other fecker within a 50 yard radius! A little bulky but easy to fit and there are enough nooks and crannies on most bikes to lose it somewhere. Do NOT test it in an enclosed space without ear protection of some sort! :thumb

I fitted one to my Rocket 3 as the OEM horn on such a big, bruising bike sounded like a dying mouse farting in the fog
Do you need the hex ezcan to use the denali?

I did this and decided it was a waste of money as the trumpet doesn’t face the right way and the sound doesn’t carry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I fitted a 5-series hoirn which is loud enough on the bike to make car drivers bounce off their tin can roofs when close enough! Some minor wiring mods needed care of the dinali wiring extension kit for canbus (£11)

I did this and decided it was a waste of money as the trumpet doesn’t face the right way and the sound doesn’t carry

Wrong.

It works fine. Just make up a bracket that allows the horn to point slightly down (keeps water out) and use a wiring extension kit. Mine works fine....wayyyyy better than the standard duck call. It carries plenty well enough.

I have a split soundbomb for sale if anyone needs one.

Do you need the hex ezcan to use the denali?

Sound bomb now fitted after buying the kit for about £75 which includes the special bracket, wiring and relay. Expensive but IMO well the cost as it wakes the dead

You don’t need a hex ezcan

Wrong.

It works fine. Just make up a bracket that allows the horn to point slightly down (keeps water out) and use a wiring extension kit. Mine works fine....wayyyyy better than the standard duck call. It carries plenty well enough.

Maybe if you want to make a bracket but it’s no where as loud as the sound bomb

Sound bomb, and if you ever go down the LED LIGHTS and Canbus then the lights will flash too when using the horn
I had my first car pull out in front of me, the combo, stopped him in his tracks .

I saw a YouTube video of the E34 horn option and it's obviously a simple and cheap solution.

But he came to the conclusion that although it has a deeper sound, and seems louder, when he did a dB meter comparison there was little difference in actual volume.

If I'm going to go to the trouble of fitting a new horn I want it to be LOUD!

I've done the same test with a properly calibrated meter from 1m away and the E34 tested up quite a bit compared to the standard being over twice the sound pressure intensity (ie over 3dB) on average. Perhaps the chap doing the testing doesn't understand how the dB scale works? All I know is that it does indeed command much more attention from inattentive car drivers IME. The MOT tester almost bounced off the ceiling when he tested the horn (I hadn't warned him). Plenty loud enough, trust me.

I've done the same test with a properly calibrated meter from 1m away and the E34 tested up quite a bit compared to the standard being over twice the sound pressure intensity (ie over 3dB) on average. Perhaps the chap doing the testing doesn't understand how the dB scale works? All I know is that it does indeed command much more attention from inattentive car drivers IME. The MOT tester almost bounced off the ceiling when he tested the horn (I hadn't warned him). Plenty loud enough, trust me.
Did you have to dismantle the as much of the bike as the chap in the video did?

Maybe if you want to make a bracket but it’s no where as loud as the sound bomb

Not as expensive and perfectly loud enough though. It's quite painful on the ears without ear protection being worn if you have someone press the horn and you stand a metre or two back from the bike. "How loud is loud enough?" is the question. I think that the E34 Horn tested around 112 or 113dB at 1m.

Did you have to dismantle the as much of the bike as the chap in the video did?

Not at all. Nothing had to come off. I used the existing horn bracket and added a 3 or 4 inch long strap bent to allow free fork movement (had to bend it in a sort of a flat Z shape) and then soldered two wire ends from a Denali extension piece to the Canbus connector to the contacts on the horn after exposing a little more of them to get a decent and reliable joint. The fiddly bit was getting the bracket right and the connections done but to fit it took 5 minutes with no bodywork needing removal.

Not at all. Nothing had to come off. I used the existing horn bracket and added a 3 or 4 inch long strap bent to allow free fork movement (had to bend it in a sort of a flat Z shape) and then soldered two wire ends from a Denali extension piece to the Canbus connector to the contacts on the horn after exposing a little more of them to get a decent and reliable joint. The fiddly bit was getting the bracket right and the connections done but to fit it took 5 minutes with no bodywork needing removal.
Nice. Might be simple enough for an office boy like myself to attempt! Thank you

Back
Top Bottom