Norway advice

Great reply, thank you, Liv.

PS I think you might struggle to persuade bods not to visit the Arctic Circle :D

As if that’d be the case :blast

We hadn’t planned to visit Norway but events conspired against us and it was a way for my wife to ride somewhere new. Roadworks are still the biggest enemy and common sense should tell anyone that the busiest roads need the most repairs and they have to be done over a 6-8 month period so avoid them.

It’s a lovely country but instead of tanks the Germans invade with motorhomes and they don’t like being taken roughly from behind by British motorbikes :D

....-and this map might be useful. https://www.vegvesen.no/trafikkbeta?lat=63.09360&long=13.91325&zoom=4&listView=false
Zoom in closely.

Note some roads are closed in winter.

Yellow roads are often slower, but nicer and more fun.

The red roads in Sweden is the fastest, and the most boooooring roads!

As I said years ago, for those who remember me:
Forget Nordkapp, Lofoten and all north of Trondheim. The west part of the south part of Norway has so many fun roads and lovely, small places. I have been in that area many summers, and there are still places I have never been to - and want to go to.
Yes, you might get rain, but pop over the mountains to the east for a few days, then, that is a dryer area.
Keep in mind mountains might look sunny and nice, but it is cold up there! So bring clothes for a normal scottish winter.

Mosquitoes love tourists.

Enjoy!

Liv, a native. :)

I remember you helping me with local knowledge back in 2006, when I was logged on as "wolfe" back then!
Good to know you're still on here.

Seems Overlanders wont be doing a shipment to Norway next year:( still pricing up other options but also considering the longer route too. Taking the faster option to go North where I'm thinking I wont actually do Nordkap, from what I hear its more of an "I did that" want and I'm thinking I can keep a few days for better scenery

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-07-18 at 21.57.42.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-07-18 at 21.57.42.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 371
So with Overlanders (inc shipping insurance) and my own flight ill be sorted for 1300 euro, for me its more about saving the time. And as Wapping said its only the price of a pint:beer:

See knew you lads would help !!!
Im shipping with Overlanders €750 round trip, Return flights for Two of us, Norwegian air Dublin Oslo €264, Dont know how its costing you €1300 Anthony.

Is that this year Gerry? as I don't see it listed for next year.

€750 is what they said for as you have although flights were pushing it up to €1300 as they were a little over 500 unless I did Germany first then Norway. Really hoping they do one next year!

€750 is what they said for as you have although flights were pushing it up to €1300 as they were a little over 500 unless I did Germany first then Norway. Really hoping they do one next year!

They haven't listed any of the shipping dates for next year, Norway included. If you haven't already, give them a bell on the phone and see what they see re shipping to Oslo next year. I'm hoping to use them again next summer and a Norway trip is top of the list - just have to see if I can afford the extra expense over the like of Spain/Portugal/Italy...:thumb2

They haven't listed any of the shipping dates for next year, Norway included. If you haven't already, give them a bell on the phone and see what they see re shipping to Oslo next year. I'm hoping to use them again next summer and a Norway trip is top of the list - just have to see if I can afford the extra expense over the like of Spain/Portugal/Italy...:thumb2

Make sure you consider all the costs rather than just the freight charges because it’s a crazily expensive place to visit. We took two bikes and used hotels rather than camp and daren’t add up the total cost :blast

Ride Dublin to Belfast,
Ferry Belfast to Cairnryan
Ride Cairnryan to Newcastle
Ferry Newcastle to Amsterdam

That bit leaves you in Amsterdam on 2nd morning. Then ride to Denmark for the Hirtshals ferry next day. Thats a long day on motorways (about 500-600 miles depending on how far you take it). That leaves you in Norway for lunchtime on day 3

Ride Dublin to Belfast,
Ferry Belfast to Cairnryan
Ride Cairnryan to Newcastle
Ferry Newcastle to Amsterdam

That bit leaves you in Amsterdam on 2nd morning. Then ride to Denmark for the Hirtshals ferry next day. Thats a long day on motorways (about 500-600 miles depending on how far you take it). That leaves you in Norway for lunchtime on day 3
Must look into this one, thanks !

Yes Anthony, that is this year, Overlanders are a good gang to ship your bike with, I have used them a few times, If they are doing Oslo next year worth looking into, Flights are cheap with Norweigan air. You pick up your bike at hotel near the Airport and off with you.

Join in if I may ... planning a trip in, reality 2021, but starting to plan now and have a look .. as always great advice and links here on the forum. It will be epic !:)

Been busy with the route myself, I’ll get something up in the coming days as I’m on the road at the moment

Minor changes to the route, what Im finding is I keep adding to the list of what to bring... might need that ill bring it:blast could need 2 of theses etc etc:confused:

Could always need a kitchen sink :nenau . A question I did have and was is there a specific place on the Lofoten Islands that I shouldn't miss. Place looks amazing and wouldn't want to miss the good stuff. Some great reading on other posts but not many mentions of a specific place

Minor changes to the route, what Im finding is I keep adding to the list of what to bring... might need that ill bring it:blast could need 2 of theses etc etc:confused:

Could always need a kitchen sink :nenau . A question I did have and was is there a specific place on the Lofoten Islands that I shouldn't miss. Place looks amazing and wouldn't want to miss the good stuff. Some great reading on other posts but not many mentions of a specific place

Reine is a must visit for most visitors to the islands....but to be fair, Lofoten is so special anywhere you go will not be a disappointment.

Thanks for the reply, been checking out google maps and google earth and like you say its special with everything I can see.

And for a laugh too I got a new logo

Attachments

• 9C5C6326-6596-40D5-A2FE-697A1AC09683.jpg
    9C5C6326-6596-40D5-A2FE-697A1AC09683.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 368
Like the logo...:thumb Hopefully you will have better weather than we did in September, but we loved the place and are already thinking about the return visit!

I notice that my fellow Norwegian suggest to discard North of Norway and go west instead. Nothing wrong with the westcoast, and it offers a way shorter ride.

However, allow me to disagree.

If you have the time, do your homework when planning, go North and experience an area like nowhere else.

Going one direction through Sweden will be a timesaver. Most people do the main road along the cost.

I say: Go inland, spend one more day and enjoy what you see. Still lots of trees, but also beautiful places inbetween.

49084339766_cc69b78fb0_c.jpg

49084546902_aa5d58854a_c.jpg

The weather up north is quite variable.

I suggest to dress properly and enjoy mother nature from her wild side:

49084545832_850c9ea8c6_c.jpg

49083825793_7be11a476f_c.jpg

Perhaps spicing up by visiting some of the local museums? The region has a long history of artic exporation, and during ww2 there was lots of activity.

49084544312_45287c90c4_c.jpg

49084337491_35a4ae13ef_c.jpg

You will be rewarded by stunning views:

49084547417_c3c3fd5a2e_c.jpg

49084545422_8c4caf170c_c.jpg

49083824848_3f4d69365d_c.jpg

49084549052_109a6a8e4b_c.jpg

49083826458_c5eaf3f0e4_c.jpg

my2c.:beerjug:

Well my friend you've made up my mind, that's what I want and believe I have the time to do the extra day or so. Im thinking of hugging the west coast on the way north and inland on the way south, hopefully catch the best of both worlds. Im planning bad weather so will be a nice surprise if I got a good turn.

Thank you for your time and effort, beautiful photos

Back
Top Bottom