Airhead starter brush length

John Roberts

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
1982 R100 RS. Neither the official BMW workshop manual nor Haynes give the minimum length. It's the original starter, Bosch with 9 tooth pinion.

Please? :)

Not sure off the top of my head, but wont Bosch have the info? The starter is the same as used across much of the auto industry -there must be a Bosch tech sheet on the net somewhere.....

Just changed a set of brushes which were well worn down, new ones made absolutely no difference to charging.
So it is probably mechanical considerations which determine when to change, but they are cheap enough.
They are now available with an eyelet connector, no soldering required so fitting is only a few minutes work.

Thank you both for your replies, sorry to have taken so long replying, been busy elsewhere.:) Solidstate100, thanks for that, I had a look as you suggested but couldn't find anything useful. Beemerboff, after having another look at the available spring travel I think I'll leave them in, I have rather been throwing money at the thing while it's stripped down, more than the bike is worth by now. Thank you both.
:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom