Selling to someone in Europe

local KTM dealer i was selling my 1290 adventure to actually told me about this method. Was going to put me into contact with someone they deal with if we couldn't reach an agreement (We did reach one)

Said theres quite a few EU buyers that come over weekly with a trailer and wallet full of cash. Snap up mostly GS's but also some other bikes. Usually all legit.
all boils down to, they can buy cheap here and sell for good profit back in mainland EU

Sounds like the same guy saw my ad on autotrader too. No hassle over the phone offered the full asking price!

Complied with all the conditions I placed on him, Bank had copy of invoice and both passports, good luck to him, i was happy with the deal.

Decent used recent model bikes are more expensive in Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria etc and combined with a sh@te sterling exchange rate (thank you Br**it) it makes good sense for dealers from the Continent to buy stock from the UK.
Even after alteration to lights/clocks etc they are still making a decent profit , used to regularly see Continental motorcycle dealers vehicles at local dealerships picking up half a dozen bikes at a time

Sold a 4k RT to a German dealer a couple of years back he had a buyer ready and waiting sold within an hour of posting. The van that collected had 3 harleys heading for Sweden guy said they can't get enough. Similarly sold a pair of Rallye trousers via ebay back to ze Fatherland.

Mine went to a Belgium dealer (Pierre) a few months back. No issues whatsoever, turned up with cash which went straight into my bank. Everything was completed within about 40 minutes and he drove off to collect another two that day.

As others say - walk him to bank, they count it and it’s in your account.

I had a friend to stay with my bike whilst buyer and I went to bank ..all worked well

Mine went to a Belgium dealer (Pierre) a few months back. No issues whatsoever, turned up with cash which went straight into my bank. Everything was completed within about 40 minutes and he drove off to collect another two that day.

Same guy will be meeting him tomorrow:thumb2

Well it all went to plan,very nice Belgium based German chap.Klaus Walach.
Turned up in a large van and trailer with four other GS`s already onboard.
Had a quick look at my bike,(very quick look) started it up and said fine I will take it, no tyre kicking nonsense !!
Pulled out a few bundles of used £50`s did the paperwork and was away in under half an hour.
He said he had another 4 bikes to collect one in Preston and another in Bristol and a couple in between.
Easiest bike sale I have ever had.
In summing up I would say if your selling and he contacts you just do it (paid full asking price)

Well it all went to plan,very nice Belgium based German chap.Klaus Walach.
Turned up in a large van and trailer with four other GS`s already onboard.
Had a quick look at my bike,(very quick look) started it up and said fine I will take it, no tyre kicking nonsense !!
Pulled out a few bundles of used £50`s did the paperwork and was away in under half an hour.
He said he had another 4 bikes to collect one in Preston and another in Bristol and a couple in between.
Easiest bike sale I have ever had.
In summing up I would say if your selling and he contacts you just do it (paid full asking price)
Same guy who bought mine, also calls himself Pierre. Would have no hesitation selling to him again. If the bike is as described he will pay the agreed price with no issues.

Anybody familiar with the term...... "money laundering"

Sent from a U11

I actually live in Belgium and i was considering buying a GS in the UK. The price difference is 10-20% but you have to take transport costs into account, plus registration bureaucracy. I was even looking into getting a ferry across to Hull from Knocke and drive one out, but that is more complex with insurance/taxes/licence plate etc (hence the vans!). I talked to some BE dealers and indeed they do source many 2nd hand bikes from the UK due to price differential and easy access. EU legislation makes re-registration inside internal market quite simple. Of course all that will stop post-brexit so sell as many as you can until 31/10! ;-)

It sounds as though bikes in the U.K. are cheaper than in mainland Europe, and with the pound falling, it will mean even more continentals coming over to grab a bargain. .

Same as it ever was.. In the early nineties i used to sell bmw's to two dealers, one from Belgium, Hugo, the other from Holland, Rudi and Al . This was in the days of belgian francs and dutcc guilders and the up and down exchange rates.

They used to call me up and tell me what they wanted i.e. six K1100LT's, and they'd be over in a couple of weeks to collect them.
I'd buy all the nearest K1100's advertised in MCN and have them here ready for when they came over.
I'd haggle the price down when buying the bikes, if the seller wouldn't budge i'd just go onto the next one. Used to take three or four days to have them all here.
Then add £400-£500 on each bike depending on what i'd paid for them.

The Belgian/Dutch buyers didn't mind the mark-ups" as it saved them having to trawl around the country for a few days viewing and buying and being messed around, and having to drive to just one location to pick up all their bikes so they could get back home on the same day they left made it worthwhile to them.
Easy life for them and for me..

The Klondike days of bike selling to european buyers.. They paid with Duffle bags of cash, mind you not that much cash as the Belgiums had a 500 franc note :D

It all went to bollox a few years later when the exchange rate swung the other way.
I know an english bloke who went bust big time after deciding he'd cut out the middle man and open a retail unit selling UK bikes and had a huge stock to flog..... oh dear.

I actually live in Belgium and i was considering buying a GS in the UK. The price difference is 10-20% but you have to take transport costs into account, plus registration bureaucracy. I was even looking into getting a ferry across to Hull from Knocke and drive one out, but that is more complex with insurance/taxes/licence plate etc (hence the vans!). I talked to some BE dealers and indeed they do source many 2nd hand bikes from the UK due to price differential and easy access. EU legislation makes re-registration inside internal market quite simple. Of course all that will stop post-brexit so sell as many as you can until 31/10! ;-)

Probably Europe or Eire where my P.O.S. 2015 gsa lc ended up when I part exed it 2 years ago and it vanished from the radar, not mot'd, insured or taxed since the day it went in.
Pity the poor sod who ended up owning it

The dealer who bought mine last year still had a bag stuffed with cash with a merc with 5 other bikes in.
It takes some counting but was hassle free,,,,,
It was more uncomfortable putting the cash in my bank ffs !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom