310 recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

steadysteve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've received a letter from the mothership about a recall for the front brakes on the mighty 310. Apparently they need to check the brakes because their effectiveness can be reduced due to exposure to the aggressive salt put on UK roads when its icy.
Anbody else got a letter?

yes dust seals need replacing. if marked new brakes fitted . not a major concern I have been told .

We went in yesterday to Allan Jeffries with the 310gs they fitted new calipers that was after the service which included brake fluid, which they did first lol, then changed the calliper and brake fluid again doh.

Mine going in tomorrow for the brake recall and investigation on the cush drive because its developed 7-8mm of play. Apparently there was an issue with cush drives on some bikes.
The caliper issue seems to be only affecting bikes that are used as year round commuters. Salt is badly affecting the caliper. I got the impression they are only being replaced if affected.

310 Recall

I've received a letter from the mothership about a recall for the front brakes on the mighty 310. Apparently they need to check the brakes because their effectiveness can be reduced due to exposure to the aggressive salt put on UK roads when its icy.
Anbody else got a letter?[/QUOT

Mine has been into the dealers last week , Barry Robsons - York
They replaced my calipers. They said that 75% of bikes are getting new calipers.
From arriving to leaving took no more than an hour and I got a free coffee too
There was nothing wrong with my brakes, because 2 days before hand I had to use them in anger and ABS kicked in, when a Taxi driver pulled out in front of me.

Mine going in tomorrow for the brake recall and investigation on the cush drive because its developed 7-8mm of play. Apparently there was an issue with cush drives on some bikes.
The caliper issue seems to be only affecting bikes that are used as year round commuters. Salt is badly affecting the caliper. I got the impression they are only being replaced if affected.

My mate had a phone call from the dealer before the letter arrived. so in under a year it's had 2 recalls.

Expect a lot more in future and not just from our hallowed brand

I attended a course a couple of weeks ago, where product liability was being discussed

A large non automotive manufacturing corp & an airbag company were the case study - both had had problems with a product

One kept meticulous records on components, markets, manufacturing data, parts & qtys used in each product. So was able to identify where

faulty products had been shipped and recalled them all

The other didnt, 16 years later it still couldnt identify clearly what cars had it's product fitted

One company resolved the issue quickly and despite an initial market blip went on to recover well with no loss of consumer confidence

The other filed for bankruptcy! and is no longer in business

Recall's sooner rather than later is going to be the norm from now on

Aye, you're probably right santa.
Apparently the piston seals are to blame-- salt and crap gets under the seal and causes seizure. Calipers are being of replaced with an improved version if there is evidence of corrosion underneath them.
Still waiting for mine to be done-- parts availability followed by holidays getting in the way means its still hasn't be done.

310 gs

brakes now replaced ,no problem run and riding to continue. Have an off road event next weekend so all go

as for recalls , even the mighty honda has them as for vw thats another story . little bm running well and still being trashed .

Apparently there is another recall for the brake calipers.
I received a call from my dealer to say the part number had changed and it needs to go back in.
I no longer own the bike so it doesn't affect me directly but it might affect some of you guys.

had mine done again so new brakes again , still trashing and crashing it about so far so good . off to sweden in may .

I got a 2nd Brake recall notice in Feb this year (2020) for my 310GS.
Then we got locked down and dealer was only doing emergency services and key workers bikes. So contacted my dealer at the end of June, to arrange for the work, to be told that they were waiting for the calipers to arrive, but they are due in next week !, that excuse was given all July, I heard from another source that the calipers were not due until August, its now Sept and I have heard nothing from my dealer. Getting fed up with them to be honest.

just carry on riding it if there is no problem . its not a major issue if they are still working

Hasnt salt always caused problems with brake callipers, of any brand?

I got a recall letter in February about the original brake recall I had done last year too ... there's been no salt this year yet and I'm happy enough using mine. As Captain Jack says, it was always so - no matter the brand. If you ride and don't wash the salt off any caliper (looking at you in particular Triumph ...) then you'll get corrosion on the pistons. Ride more and worry less and it'll be fine.

Mine were replaced last year.
Recalled again this year and replaced again.

Story I was told was original replacement was for exactly the same model with same possible seizing, but was a temporary fix until new calipers could be manufactured. As brand new, less chance of seizing over winter.
Latest recall was to change to the new design/manufacturer.

Mind you part ex'd it 2 weeks later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom