The annual Billy no mates tour +1

Thanks guys. We’re on our way (first fuel stop) and after working it all out decided that if we went via Calais we’d be home at about 11pm so we’re on the overnight ferry, home by 9am then a 2hr drive to the hospital.

I looked at just dumping the bike at Berlin airport but the flights were shit so abandoned that idea.

It’s a lovely sunny day for a motorway ride across Germany 😀

I think this is where we started...
7abe5d03f0b0c4f65fe215762ab62233.jpg

Yep, we’re on the ferry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deja vu all over again! Ride safe. Hope your mum is well when you get there.

My brother visited today and said said she’s eating, drinking and seems better than she has been for the last few weeks! Apparently she can’t remember anything of the last few days and asked where I was so he said I’d be there tomorrow.

I’ve had it with being over optimistic so we’ll go and see her tomorrow, not tell her what we’ve done since Thursday afternoon and if she seems ok we’ll be back on this ferry tomorrow night.

The wife has suddenly regained her enthusiasm for big days on bikes and after looking at google maps, Via Michelin and various other sites and has suggested that we go to Kiel Monday, overnight ferry to Gothenburg and do the hard miles due north. Well that’s a big leap into the unknown because by north she means hit the E6 and aim at the North Cape. Yep, she really is that stupid.

Anyway, you might yet get a trip report :D

home by 9am then a 2hr drive to the hospital.

Sorry to hear about your Mum, and the stresses incurred, plus the disastrous effect on your holiday.
Couldn't you just ride straight to the hospital?
It'd save a load of time by not fucking about with the car.

Well we’re home and about to watch the MotoE race on tv rather than live at the circuit :(

Not to worry, we were home at 08:40 so time to grab some breakfast then drive to Chesterfield and see how the cause of all the issues is faring :D

The reason for not going straight to Chesterfield on the bike was mainly that we’d have then been leaving loaded bikes in the car park but the route from Harwich goes within 2.5 miles of our house so it would have been a bit stupid not to drop the bikes off here.

Jeez Andy, been away for a few days and missed this with no signal, enjoy yourself and fingers crossed for your mum. Tough times!

Jeez Andy, been away for a few days and missed this with no signal, enjoy yourself and fingers crossed for your mum. Tough times!

She seemed to have years stripped off her when we visited this afternoon and the smile as we walked towards her bed made the return journey worth while so I’m glad we came back for the day. The downside is that she’s still very confused and thought she was in Bedford hospital rather than Chesterfield and has lost at least one week though that’s not a bad thing in some ways.

Anyway, we’ve got a plan (unusual for me) and it’s ride to Frederikshavn tomorrow, ferry to Gothenburg Tuesday morning then stick on the sunglasses and head due north. We’ve packed lightweight sleeping bags so we can either use hytte or doss in bus shelters in Norway and I’ve added a cold killers jacket to my tail pack in case the temperature drops. I’m tempted to go really stupid and try riding at midnight when it’s still light north of the Arctic Circle or we could play really silly games and sleep in the day then ride at night to reduce the risk of speeding fines.

Mrs B has decided to wear cycling shorts under her cordura trousers so she can do more miles without crying and apparently she was singing Xmas carols to herself as we rode across Germany yesterday.

It’ll be a laugh if nothing else 😀

That’s another nice day of mixed showers and sunshine spent riding through Holland, Germany and Denmark but after 640 miles we’ve stopped for the night and just ordered dinner in a restaurant.

Chicken fillet burger plus chips for the fussy eater and flounder served with shrimps, asparagus, salad, chips and a weird tasting sauce for me. Well you have to have fish when you’re this close to the sea don’t you?

I still hate riding through Hamburg but it’s a necessary evil if you’re going to Norway and we’ve booked the ferry from Hirtshals to Langesund at 9am tomorrow. That should mean we get to somewhere around Hamar at a decent time then hit it on Wednesday morning.

I’ve even packed my copy of the Arctic Highway book for bedtime reading 😀

Fish & chips as served in Denmark

81b6f497dacac1648f26d74241c14488.jpg

I don’t take photos of chicken burgers

That’s it, we’re on the ferry from Hirtshals to Langesund with a hotel booked in Hamar tonight.

It’s a lovely sunny day and I’m looking forward to spending the next few days riding the bike in 4th gear at 50mph 👎

I suppose a photo of the bikes would be good. This was taken at a fuel stop on the E6 about 30 miles short of Hamar where we’re spending the night in a rather nice hotel overlooking the lake.
ec0f9106bf4493d2e6c867b165f80c15.jpg

What the fuck is a chickenshit pizza?
a302143bd80ed18da5ef5c63414be73e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom