Fork seal

c28cd70b47523c381cf0de7f74556ff3.jpg

Just looking for a bit of clarification before I take on the seal again. When I swapped it out last time I remember wondering if I’d seated the seal correctly. The ‘collar’ inside the fork leg ( circled in green ) has the washer sat on top ( circled in black ). Should the seal sit flush with these two items ? Remember struggling to tap the seal so it sat on top of the washer......always left a few mm gap and I was loathed to get too heavy handed. Hope this makes sense to the more mechanically minded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That little assembly your pointing to - topped with the oil seal we're discussing - should sit all pushed up against each other. To be honest, I thought the seal bottomed out into its own recess, so you can't really get it wrong if you just get the seal seated home?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

BMW’s Main dealers can get you any part

Why would you think they can’t??

I used oem seals and all good

Where do you think Motorworks get their BMW oem
Parts from??

A franchised BMW dealer of course

Cheers Johnny.....just questioned due to the age.......will try the dealers :okay

Cheers Johnny.....just questioned due to the age.......will try the dealers :okay

BMW dealers can still original parts going back to the 1970’s and earlier

One of the best manufacturers for supporting older bikes

Take Airhead Paralever GS - the exhaust collector box became obsolete (but they rot out) and a popular mod was to fit a Y piece - but being carbs, they seem to run better with a collector box

Couple of years ago BMW got them remanufactured and they were perfect in every detail to the original- even down to the warning lettering in the casting
Lots of people bought them here

That little assembly your pointing to - topped with the oil seal we're discussing - should sit all pushed up against each other. To be honest, I thought the seal bottomed out into its own recess, so you can't really get it wrong if you just get the seal seated home?

Cheers. Guessed there shouldn’t really be a gap between the seal and the washer......will have to give it a closer inspection this time cos if I’m honest I just had a look at the stanchion for pitting/marking when I changed it last time. In hindsight I should have looked over everything but just presumed it was a dodgy seal.

Cheers. Guessed there shouldn’t really be a gap between the seal and the washer......will have to give it a closer inspection this time cos if I’m honest I just had a look at the stanchion for pitting/marking when I changed it last time. In hindsight I should have looked over everything but just presumed it was a dodgy seal.

Hi. If it helps. I replaced both seals yesterday. None of the new ones sat tight on the washer

Hi. If it helps. I replaced both seals yesterday. None of the new ones sat tight on the washer
But presumably you got the wire clip seated into its slot just above the seal? That is presumably the most important detail.

I had checked the old ones first to see. They where not sitting tight in the washer before i removed them. Clip seated nicely in the groove. Suppose time will tell lol:thumb
I think if your clip (on top of the seal) is all seated properly, the job is done

But I am assuming there large flat washer (part no 6) is in there, under the seal

So........if the washer is just sat on top of a collar in the leg......what does it purpose does it serve ?????

So........if the washer is just sat on top of a collar in the leg......what does it purpose does it serve ?????
Several!

But the immediately obvious are to spread the load of the sharp edges of the space tubes, up against the soft faces of the seal. As such, it forms a mechanical terminator for that stack of spacers that is easily removable for a mega low cost . There are other ways of dealing with it, but since it's not suspension, it needs to be light and simple.

Picked up a rechromed stanchion from fleabay and fitted today with a double lipped seal. Fingers crossed now.

Back
Top Bottom