Fork seal

BADGER999

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Developed a slight leak on one of my forks. Unsure what to do as the service book says the seals were only done last year (only had the bike since January). I flipped off the cover to have a look and the seal looks new, so seems a bit hasty to replace. Tempted to just leave it to see how it ‘develops’ in the hope it might sort itself, or try to clean it out with a ‘sealbuddy’......although I am a bit concerned prodding some plastic down the side might make it worse. Anyone had any experience of these.......good or bad ????

Watch the YouTube videos on the subject of changing the seals which will give you an insight on the procedure and approximate timescale.
Far simpler than other engine seal replacements.

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

I've used a seal buddy before and they work well!!

If you just leave it, be prepared for oil on your brakes....i speak from experience.
I wonder if there are some duff seals out there, mine were replaced early September last year and already leaking again.

Sent from my HTC U Ultra using Tapatalk

If its leaking it will probably need replacing. It’s very easy to do & well explained here.

i bought and just tried the seal buddy..slught corrosion on fork seems to be creating a gap in the new seal. Seal buddy folded and creased slightly when trying to insert it correctly. Did get it in a little way and followed the vids, will see if helps tomorrow on a proper ride.

i bought and just tried the seal buddy..slught corrosion on fork seems to be creating a gap in the new seal. Seal buddy folded and creased slightly when trying to insert it correctly. Did get it in a little way and followed the vids, will see if helps tomorrow on a proper ride.

Interested in if it makes a difference........let us know !

The pitch of the forks and the shape of the seal can cause a small amount of oil to pool on top of the seal. Then putting oil and on the forks and is mistaken for a duff seal. Always good to check for this but it’s not a hard job to change them.
Pop the dust cover off and clean well.

I’d say prob not. Before followed by 100 mile blast in surrey

Attachments

• FF8C88B8-C804-4B0A-908C-9605056D4B50.jpg
    FF8C88B8-C804-4B0A-908C-9605056D4B50.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 548
  • 532001DC-856F-4D6D-92E6-B26CC32A0ADA.jpg
    532001DC-856F-4D6D-92E6-B26CC32A0ADA.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 562
Looking at the pictures it appears like there’s quite a split in the fork......guess this is creating a gap on compression of the forks !

If you just leave it, be prepared for oil on your brakes....i speak from experience.
I wonder if there are some duff seals out there, mine were replaced early September last year and already leaking again.

Sent from my HTC U Ultra using Tapatalk

Yep
I had to zip tie rags to the fork leg to avoid oil on pads

no forks are not split or bent. Its just camera. But the dust caps could do with replacing but its not the cause of the leak. Guess I'll start budgeting for re chroming...might try a mot first though!

no forks are not split or bent. Its just camera. But the dust caps could do with replacing but its not the cause of the leak. Guess I'll start budgeting for re chroming...might try a mot first though!

Clean up the oil before the MOT.....will get through no bother. Would need to be really bad to contaminate the brakes.......cant imagine yours is bad enough for that !

Changed the seal following all the good advice on here.......but after about 500 miles I noticed a misting again. Left it through the summer but now pondering on my next move. So that’s the seal replaced twice in last 8k miles and still a small leak is there. When I had the slider out there was no obvious pitting or scratching......any advice ?

The problem is just with the right fork seal......the left has been fine.

I ended up replacing my stanchions as it was irritating me after 2 seal changes and a fork buddy effort. Fine since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ended up replacing my stanchions as it was irritating me after 2 seal changes and a fork buddy effort. Fine since.

can’t really think of much else even though it looks ok. Where did you source your replacements ?

Back
Top Bottom