It’s a svart move !

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Took a Svartpilen 701 out for a spin today .

Been looking for something light as I’ve got a few minor medical issues and find my bigger bikes hard work lugging around unless I’m away on a trip.

I kind of knew what to expect from the motor having owned a couple of 701SMs in the past.

But this seems even smoother and the quick shifter takes away some of the hassle of constant gear changes for local riding .

The riding position is also further forward than the SM though obviously the Vitpilen is even more so with the clip ons.

The bike had only just been pdi’d so I was cautious of the new rubber, but the bike was a revelation. So so light at something like 160kgs and very narrow but handling seems very planted.

The seat seems very firm but I’ve read that it never gets uncomfy, unlike seats that initially seem great but then soon start to show a lack of support .

Dislikes ?

The dash is a bit shite and I’m not overly struck by the asymmetric rear, with the ‘number board ‘ on the right side .

But apart from that ? Not much.

And my dealer said he’d do me a cracking deal , which he has . Beginning with a £6....

So I’m going to get it .
Sold both my Guzzis recently. The Audace went as I found it too heavy moving around and the T3 had to go as it aggravated my nerve problem on longer rides .

Think I’ll move the ATAS to my little pad in Brittany. Can always get a Bike Bubble as I think the garage is a tad damp in winter .

But the Svart will be good for local riding and an absolute hoot for the back roads in Brittany ( that Nutty will vouch for ).

And hopefully the light weight and roomy riding position will prove beneficial.

It’s definitely a marmite bike though !!

8b2431b2ac390f9b0a1314d830dbdd38.jpg
990bb10026416bec8581be02a78fae71.jpg

Nice one :)

I was unsure of the styling initially but really like it now.

Sideburn did a write up on the bike in the latest issue. They don't normally (thank god) do bike tests but when they do they are always well written and impartial....................Gary Inman was so taken with it he said he was going to get one and intends using it as his every day bike. He really, really rated it, in particular the handling.

Andres

Sounds like an excellent plan.

I can also recommend the CCM, when you fancy another bike.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Ta but no ta.

Mate in Spain has a Spifire and CCM are having to fly out a mechanic to fix a fuel leak. It’s been off the road for weeks !!

Plus it’s a 15 year old motor down 25bhp on the 74 out by the Husky.

Had a go on the Vitpilen 701 whilst my Svart 401 was in for service. Was really impressed!! Love my 401 but it does rattle your fillings loose!! 701 so much smoother and more urgent.

I got a tail tidy for mine to get rid of rear mud scoop, number plate etc. Will post up here when conversion done.

Steve J

Prefer the look of the Svart 401 and am still soooo tempted at the price they are going for but still just a little unsure. Bet the 701 goes great but am not sure of the look. I saw a special edition they did and liked that, but think for example the standard wheels dont do it justice. Just my opinion of course and enjoy the bike!

Svart move indeed , great bike loved my test ride and at that price you it won’t cost you much when selling.

I’ll kee an eye out for it in a few months time :p

It’s a bit of a tool . Probably get nicked on it as it just wants to go !
The seat reminds me of the Renazco I had on my 950SE.
Never feels comfy but never changes .

Traditional spot for pics with new bike :

0f0f1cf19273e93d73e5d6b11e229c7b.jpg
efbe4c80a7fd8d77485a5bac74d0f1fe.jpg

Can’t see any point in getting an Akra. They do a black one but I doubt it sounds any better due to Euro4 regs . The standard one looks ok and is quite throaty anyway .

The other bike mentioned above is the Style edition which has a bronze finish and spoked wheels. Nice, but more dosh and no longer svart ! (Black)

f71b9ed2675e418855bbc8d679df9d05.jpg

I really fancy a Vitpilen, but not test ridden yet.

What's the exhaust/engine note like in reality (as opposed to listening on youtube)? I have mostly classic old brits and italians, hence exhaust note is a big part of a bike's appeal for me, hence why the only "modern" is a Griso.

I noted on Gary Inman's test of the Vitpilen in Bike magazine, he HATED the engine noise, but nobody seems to mention it in video reviews etc??

Thanks

Dave

I really fancy a Vitpilen, but not test ridden yet.

What's the exhaust/engine note like in reality (as opposed to listening on youtube)? I have mostly classic old brits and italians, hence exhaust note is a big part of a bike's appeal for me, hence why the only "modern" is a Griso.

I noted on Gary Inman's test of the Vitpilen in Bike magazine, he HATED the engine noise, but nobody seems to mention it in video reviews etc??

Thanks

Dave

It’s ok.
Not that loud obviously but reasonably throaty.
Not much point these days in changing it for an Akra or similar as they’ll be Euro4 compliant with welded in baffle etc and sound very similar.
I had a 701SM with Akra and baffle out ( by previous owner) and it was too loud to be honest.

I was looking for some info and came across this review which is quite good.

It seems Remus are going to release a very slick exhaust system for the bike at EICMA in November so might be tempted .
The cat is huge on these 701s so a decat pipe and remap would be worth doing.

It’s a pity they stopped making the Nuda, great sounding bike. Perhaps this is a sort of replacement?

Back
Top Bottom