Clever people needed here

Thinking about this...

The switch relocation could be set up so that it provides a 'live' connection only....

So when activated, it makes the sidestand switch redundant only. So the engine stays on all the time, regardless of sidestand position.

When turned off, it resets the sidestand switch into normal operation.

This means when off-roading, regardless of what happens to the sidestand switch, your override switch will keep the engine running.

Come MOT or normal riding time, you just turn off the override switch for normal operation.

That would work.... except the reliance is then on you to remember to put the sidestand up.

................ you can take it off for the MOT :D

Come MOT time - just pop the switch plug back in.

I can't say I can recall having any bike of mine tested for the side stand switch and I always remove them as a matter of course when I buy a bike. Is the MOT thing a new requirement?

Andres

Use a scotch lock to shunt it, you can take it off for the MOT :D

You’re probably right, I was just thinking of general condition

I haven’t MOT’d a bike in a long time, not required over here (for now)

Everyday's a school day, I never knew that; same for me too at the moment, only one of my bikes needs MOTing, the rest are too old :)

Andres

When I think of some of the heaps of shite we managed to get through MOT’s in the 80s it was shocking

Like a Lambretta chopper with a piece of scaffolding hammered into position as a crossbar for the tank and fillered to hide the total lack of welding. You had to look past the side of the headstock to ride it

And a shagged out 250 super dream with a timing chain about a foot too long and the bars flipped over to make cowhorn drops, it actually rode OK :D

A paper clip in your tool roll has been known to save the day on many occasions. They're very good at bridging switches and almost certainly cost less than RAC membership. :thumb

Just found out from one of my fellow 690 owners that he eliminated his sidestand switch by taping a magnet to it and relocating it under the seat! Has worked a treat for a number of his long distance off road trips.

It seems there are multiple ways to resolve this one!

When I think of some of the heaps of shite we managed to get through MOT’s in the 80s it was shocking

Like a Lambretta chopper with a piece of scaffolding hammered into position as a crossbar for the tank and fillered to hide the total lack of welding. You had to look past the side of the headstock to ride it

And a shagged out 250 super dream with a timing chain about a foot too long and the bars flipped over to make cowhorn drops, it actually rode OK :D

That's how Rat Bikes get away with existance

Back
Top Bottom