Clever people needed here

Warlord

Do Not Resuscitate
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a way to eliminate the side stand switch on the Africa Twin CRF1000

I ask because recently riding off-road, a friend on his KTM 1090 Adventure smashed his and it fucked his day right up. Bike had to be recovered by RAC as nobody could fix it trailside. Another rider actually had a side stand eliminator plug for a KTM, but it wasn't compatible with this guys 1090 for some reason.

Anyways, I remember the BMW Off-Road school also had eliminated the side stand switches on all there bikes... so it's obviously a PITA vulnerability.

Looking for a solution on the Africa Twin, but can't find anything.

Any ideas from anyone?

Join the wires together & remove

Really, is it that simple? If it is, bloody brilliant.

The KTM guys were talking about Canbus signals and all sorts of shite.... that's what got him stranded...

On an older bike it was that easy

How complex it is on these new electrically controlled bikes, nor sure

Is the AT Canbus ?

Personally I don't have a bike newer than 2005

There's no canbus on a CRF1000 :D

You have a green and a green/white wire going to a 2 way plug for the sidestand switch. Unplug the switch and connect the remaining 2 ports together so you maintain a circuit. :thumb

Come MOT time - just pop the switch plug back in.

There's no canbus on a CRF1000 :D

You have a green and a green/white wire going to a 2 way plug for the sidestand switch. Unplug the switch and connect the remaining 2 ports together so you maintain a circuit. :thumb

See simple

Same as an older bike

Nowt complex

Brilliant.

Thank you clever people. :)

I smashed my switch on a rock up a trail in Scotland . Simple fix as above but I’m pretty sure if you just remove it via the 8mm bolt an cable tie it somewhere safe still connected that works too. It’s an expensive part £93 for a switch and bit of wire .

I smashed my switch on a rock up a trail in Scotland . Simple fix as above but I’m pretty sure if you just remove it via the 8mm bolt an cable tie it somewhere safe still connected that works too. It’s an expensive part £93 for a switch and bit of wire .

Was that on your HAT ? Or another bike?

Use a scotch lock to shunt it, you can take it off for the MOT :D

I wonder..... could the sidestand switch be relocated to the handlebars?

Reason being, the sidestand switch doesn't reset the HAT settings for Traction Control, Gravel mode, ABS mode etc if used to turn engine off.

Whereas the engine kill switch resets stuff. Ignition on/off resets everything.

So it's still very useful to use sidestand to turn engine off....

Just a thought.

You can move it wherever you want, I'd suggest somewhere unobtrusive but easily accessible, an easy, extra anti theft device

(I'm not clever)

(Strange word, clever)

Last edited:
You can see it broken here:aidan

The actual switch can be difficult to prize away from the wiring but there is a connection at the switch that comes apart and you can link it with a thin bit of wire

Attachments

• 2141DF67-7F03-4DB3-A6CA-1F499962DB6B.jpg
    2141DF67-7F03-4DB3-A6CA-1F499962DB6B.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 8186394D-FEE9-4E41-986F-C7FB3DA9EEED.jpg
    8186394D-FEE9-4E41-986F-C7FB3DA9EEED.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 105
Yes that was on mine I carry a spare now as I didn’t like not having one

You can see it broken here:aidan

The actual switch can be difficult to prize away from the wiring but there is a connection at the switch that comes apart and you can link it with a thin bit of wire

Ok great, thanks for the explanation. I'll look at doing something with that on my bike.

I assume theres no special requirements for an alternative location switch? voltage? two terminals? waterproof? etc

Back
Top Bottom