Possibly dumb questions

Amadeus

Reaction score
I've fiddled around with Basecamp, watched videos, possibly missed something, but have a couple of questions:

1) Is there anything which shows the mapping of options in Basecamp to the options in the GPS (either 590 or BMW 6)? Basecamp options use American wording. I'm wondering if an issue here is causing a large detour on my imported route.

2) In my Maps dropdown in Basecamp, when I don't have any device connected I have 2 options:
  1. "City Navigator Europe NTU 2019.3"
  2. "City Navigator Europe NTU 2020.1".
When I plug in my BMW 6, I have:
  1. "City Navigator Europe NTU 2019.3",
  2. "City Navigator Europe NTU 2020.1 (BMW Motorrad Navigator VI)",
  3. "City Navigator Europe NTU 2020.1 (BMW Motorrad Navigator VI)",
  4. "City Navigator Europe NTU 2020.1 (installed)".
Why the duplicate and is there a good/clean/safe way of removing duplicate?

3) I have updated the maps on my device, downloaded them to PC, selected them in Basecamp (tried with both options 2 & 4 in list above) but when I send the route to the device I get a little message under the toolbar in Basecamp stating "Route(s) sent to BMW Motorrad Navigator VI were recalculated because they were created on a map that is not installed on that device". This again may be a reason why I get a big detour - the route shown in Basecamp does not match up with the route on the device.

I've looked at it so much now I doubt I'll see what I'm missing so would appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction.

Many thanks

I When you plug your device into your computer, BaseCamp temporarily drags the maps from the device to your PC, in addition to whatever maps you have installed onto your PC already.

On your computer, you have two map sets installed: City Navigator Europe NTU 2019.3 and City Navigator Europe NTU 2020.1

I guess that you are creating routes on your PC using City Navigator Europe NTU 2019.3, then sending them to your device, which does not have City Navigator Europe NTU 2019.3 installed into it, hence the message.

You can delete 2019.3 from your PC quite safely.

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=WH2GK8h1m35uQ0sNZFV7T7

Once deleted from your PC, the maps on your device should match those on your PC and all should then be well.

Thanks Wapping, much appreciated. Apologies for the delay, I've been away and wanted to work through your info.

Unfortunately I'm still having problems.
I uninstalled the 2019.3 maps from the PC as detailed in the Garmin link.
I then start Basecamp (without IV installed) and in Basecamp the Maps menu shows:
  • City Navigator Europe NTU 2020.1 (this item is selected)
  • Global Map

I connect my IV to the PC; the Maps menu in Basecamp shows:
  • City Navigator Europe NTU 2020.1 (BMW Motorrad Navigator VI)
  • City Navigator Europe NTU 2020.1 (BMW Motorrad Navigator VI)
  • City Navigator Europe NTU 2020.1 (installed) (this item is selected)

I then drag the .GPX file into Basecamp and I see the route on the map. Note: it looks wrong in that there is a long part of it which goes back on itself.
I right click it, click "Send to..." and send it to the BMW device (and just below the toolbar I see a message "Route(s) sent to BMW Motorrad Navigator VI were recalculated because they was created on a map that is not installed on that device". I unplug the IV from the PC, turn on the IV, import the route, use trip planner and I get some completely random route - not related to what I see in Basecamp!

Any ideas?

Please can you share the route with us. If it’s a large file, host it on something like Dropbox or any file sharing platform.

Did you create the route yourself in BaseCamp?

Have you tried opening the route in BaseCamp and recalculating it?

I've attached a GPX file. This GPX file was created some time ago by a member of the club I'm part of. When I look at the route in Basecamp, the bit which I believe is wrong is the bit to the west of Andover where the route goes south then back north on itself (according to the PDF of the route (see below), it should go south then a gentle northwest.

When I transfer the route to the device, there is a large circular deviation to the east side of the route. When I recalculate the route in Basecamp I also see this circular deviation (I expected that part of the route to be as I see it initially in Basecamp).

The PDF which shows the route is too large for the max PDF file attachment so it can be seen on my Dropbox account here.
I've also added a couple of screenshots - the unfettered route in Basecamp (i.e. before recalculating it) and a photo of the route as shown in the VI which shows the circular deviation.

Many thanks

Attachments

• Crofton Beam Engines Map - Jekyll and Hyde to Crofton Beam Engines.GPX
    119.3 KB · Views: 65
The gpx file has waypoints very poorly placed.

2019-07-18.png

There are probably more badly placed points causing your anomaly.

It does indeed look a mess in that screen shot; I was starting to guess as much, when I read the bit about the route doubling back. Having a file to look at makes it so much easier.

Mix in that the route was created by a third party some time ago, probably therefore not in 2020.1, hence the message and the prompt to recalculate. It all becomes a dog’s dinner very quickly.

Now that we have found the likely cause or causes of the OP’s problem, here’s a possible solution.

Open the duff route on your PC in BaseCamp.

Create a fresh (correct) route by tracing over the duff route but missing out the duff route’s errors

Save the fresh route, giving it a new name

Delete the duff route from the device

Send the fresh route to the device

Check it on the device

Job done

Hey guys, sorry for the delay - missed notification that thread had been updated, few health issues and I'm a dipshit.

Anyway, thanks for all the info. I'll work through that, be good practice. But glad to know it's not me doing something wrong. The way a route is stored does seem to have a lot of potential for things going wrong. I guess that's my first lesson learned. :)

Much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom