1150 RT pre-purchase advice

Mjhb

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

After much dithering and medically-related delay, I'm interested in buying an 1150 RT, and have seen what appear to be very reasonable bikes with under 30k miles on them. All with FSH.

I've heard that these should be avoided because of potential mechanical issues, clutch specifically, and that 50k should be a minimum as any issues will have been identified and dealt with by then.

I've looked for a buying guide online, but there doesn't appear to be any consistency.

I'm looking to do a big trip across the US next year, so would be looking to get some preventative maintenance done beforehand.

Any thoughts ? I'd be very grateful for any advice anyone can give.

Cheers all,

Matt:beer:

Abs unit packs up always. They seem to last 15-20k and are quite expensive to replace esp vs the price of the bike. Removal and running without abs is only solution.
Clutches can be abused and burn easily esp on heavy laden/travelled bikes. And clutch slaves cylinders is another weak spot. Otherwise they are bulletproof.

Hi all,

After much dithering and medically-related delay, I'm interested in buying an 1150 RT, and have seen what appear to be very reasonable bikes with under 30k miles on them. All with FSH.

I've heard that these should be avoided because of potential mechanical issues, clutch specifically, and that 50k should be a minimum as any issues will have been identified and dealt with by then.

RUBBISH.
If you are looking for the best of the bunch, choose a twin spark engine. Less surging (in fact for most folk, there is no surging). better fuel consumption and engine response.
Avoid 2002 models. This era for some strange reason had more issues generally, but mainly with gearbox to engine misalignment which results in gearbox input shaft failures. It does happen on other model years, but MUCH less so. So, late 2003, is good, 2004 is ideal, and BMW did release some 2005 models as they were transitioning over to the 1200 model range.

There are issues on all of the 1150's with iABS failure (the stupid servo assisted brakes). this isn't eh end of the world and the servo can be removed and leave you with VERY NICE consistent brakes with great feel and modulation.

I've looked for a buying guide online, but there doesn't appear to be any consistency.

I'm looking to do a big trip across the US next year, so would be looking to get some preventative maintenance done beforehand.

Any thoughts ? I'd be very grateful for any advice anyone can give.

Cheers all,

Matt:beer:

Pre trip maintenance?
Check alternator belt for damage.
Full service including engine, gearbox and transmission oils, setting valve clearances, cleaning the idle screw (BBS screw) and its associated galleries. Cleaning the throttle bodies, (DO NOT TAMPER WITH THE IDLE STOP SCREW). Replace spark plugs, air filter and do a throttle body balance.
Check for any play on the rear wheel to ensure the Final Drive is in top notch condition for the trip.

I've said it several times, but my '04 R1150 RT TwinSpark was the best all-round bike that I have owned in 40 years of riding.

There was something about it that I connected with - it had soul that few bikes possess, way more engaging than my R1200 RT.
I still regret selling, and would buy it back if I knew where it was.

I've said it several times, but my '04 R1150 RT TwinSpark was the best all-round bike that I have owned in 40 years of riding.

There was something about it that I connected with - it had soul that few bikes possess, way more engaging than my R1200 RT.
I still regret selling, and would buy it back if I knew where it was.

Me too, me too.
My R1150RT was amazing and like you my shiny Wethead (although way better than the 1200's that preceded it), is no match for the 1150 in terms of that feeling you get after a ride and just look back at the bike thinking, shall I go out again right now.
The 1200 Wethead is almost clinical, but the 1150 was organic. Happy memories for sure.

As happy 1150RT owners, did you run them with or without the servo.
Have been looking at 1100RTs because of this issue as I would like ABS but I'd be interested in your experience.

My 1150's have had a Servo. On my second bike, I removed the Servo and the brakes were then amazing. I preferred the bike without the servo. There is a caveat though. No servo means no ABS. can you live with that? I can. All my insurance companies were happy with that too.

On my '04, the servo assistance was faultless for the three years that I owned it.

It had a full BMW service history before I acquired it, and I did annual fluid changes on both master and slave circuits.

They don't 'all fail' as has been commented earlier in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom