This will have Engineer dipping in to his Jockeys for a tug

Hahaha....
So KTM “clearly can’t design electronic suspension as well as BMW”

Wasn’t aware that BMW designed their suspension, thought it was an outsourced designed, then outsourced to a company that would build it down to a price

Was at my local BMW dealers on Saturday, got chatting to a guy with a KTM 1290GT, completely unprompted he said he couldn’t wait to sell it, only done about 1800 miles but he couldn’t get on with it because the suspension was so bad, unsettled and wallowed when pushed even moderately hard on the road. KTM clearly can’t design electronic suspension as well as BMW.

Have you any idea how many utterly shit, shit, shit riders there are out there ?! Riders who don't know their arse from their elbow. So what is their opinion worth??

If you want to know whether a bike is any good or not (for you) ..... go and test ride it yourself and make up your own mind. Don't take the opinion of some random guy you meet !!

Have you any idea how many utterly shit, shit, shit riders there are out there ?! Riders who don't know their arse from their elbow. So what is their opinion worth??

If you want to know whether a bike is any good or not (for you) ..... go and test ride it yourself and make up your own mind. Don't take the opinion of some random guy you meet !!

Don't sit on the fence Giles ... say it as it is :thumb

:beerjug:

Try a HOG day that will make your hair stand on end...........:yikes went on one just to try the new fatbob for fun, the feckers are worse than car drivers...:rob

When the opinion is that of many from different sources then there just may be something in it - I’m not interested in a KTM 1290 and one of the reasons is the common theme of suspension issues. One of the other reasons is that it’s chain drive, another is that the luggage limits it to 80mph, another is that it won’t have the pillion or luggage capacity..........

Do you have a 1290 by any chance ?

When the opinion is that of many from different sources then there just may be something in it - I’m not interested in a KTM 1290 and one of the reasons is the common theme of suspension issues. One of the other reasons is that it’s chain drive, another is that the luggage limits it to 80mph, another is that it won’t have the pillion or luggage capacity..........

Thats fine! I am certainly not trying to sell you KTM! You ride what you want, and I'll ride what I want! (and at some point in the future I could certainly chill out with a Harley in the garage!). But my point stands .... the average punter outside a bike shop is probably just that ... and boy have I heard some shit come out of the mouths of average punters!
If I want to know whether a bike is any good or not I'll go and ride it myself .... :thumb

Thats fine! I am certainly not trying to sell you KTM! You ride what you want, and I'll ride what I want! (and at some point in the future I could certainly chill out with a Harley in the garage!). But my point stands .... the average punter outside a bike shop is probably just that ... and boy have I heard some shit come out of the mouths of average punters!
If I want to know whether a bike is any good or not I'll go and ride it myself .... :thumb

I agree about the average punter, but they are not all like that, and it ain’t difficult to listen and then decide - the KTM 1290 rider that I was referring to was, in my judgement, not one of the types you mention.

If I’m interested in a bike then I’ll ride one.

The problem is that you just focus on other people’s opinions, rather than going out and riding one. I used to do the same. The “issues” you’ve mentioned are a non starter, and affect hardly any bikes. I’m a fussy bugger, anyone that knows me will confirm that, and if I had these issues, I’d be straight back on a GS, but they really aren’t issues, just hearsay.

When I first bought a 1290 in 2017, I also bought a new GS Rallye, as I too focused on what ifs, and rumors, and was worried that the KTM wouldn’t live up to the GS. The plan was to always keep the better bike. It didn’t take long for the better of the two bikes to present itself, hence why the GS went. Is the KTM perfect? Probably not, but it’s better in so many ways than the GS.

The problem is that you just focus on other people’s opinions, rather than going out and riding one. I used to do the same. The “issues” you’ve mentioned are a non starter, and affect hardly any bikes. I’m a fussy bugger, anyone that knows me will confirm that, and if I had these issues, I’d be straight back on a GS, but they really aren’t issues, just hearsay.

When I first bought a 1290 in 2017, I also bought a new GS Rallye, as I too focused on what ifs, and rumors, and was worried that the KTM wouldn’t live up to the GS. The plan was to always keep the better bike. It didn’t take long for the better of the two bikes to present itself, hence why the GS went. Is the KTM perfect? Probably not, but it’s better in so many ways than the GS.

One can’t ride every bike that is vaguely interesting, so reviews and opinions are an important factor in the decision making process - just like one can’t try every hotel out before staying in it, so the opinions on Tripadvisor are worth a read.

One can’t ride every bike that is vaguely interesting, so reviews and opinions are an important factor in the decision making process - just like one can’t try every hotel out before staying in it, so the opinions on Tripadvisor are worth a read.

You’re wrong.

On all counts.

Man up and have some confidence in your own thoughts based on your own experiences. Fuck what anybody else thinks.

Andres

I quite like my GS

Just done a week on the Isle of Man and have to say it was quite good fun blasting over the mountain fully laden.

not as fast as my R1 but certainly faster than many.

You’re wrong.

On all counts.

Man up and have some confidence in your own thoughts based on your own experiences. Fuck what anybody else thinks.

Andres

I’m 100% correct on all counts - I do my research and make my own decision, so far there is nothing gets even close to the GS as the best all rounder (just ride around Europe and count the GSes, there is good reason there are so many) so KTMs are out until they make a shaft drive bike with suspension comparable to the telever/paralever setup :)

Back
Top Bottom