This will have Engineer dipping in to his Jockeys for a tug

I quite like my GS

Just done a week on the Isle of Man and have to say it was quite good fun blasting over the mountain fully laden.

not as fast as my R1 but certainly faster than many.

Off to the South of France again at the end of the month, fully loaded two-up, the GS suspension does its job without fuss whatever the circumstances, especially the 2018 TE version.

I’m 100% correct on all counts - I do my research and make my own decision, so far there is nothing gets even close to the GS as the best all rounder (just ride around Europe and count the GSes, there is good reason there are so many) so KTMs are out until they make a shaft drive bike with suspension comparable to the telever/paralever setup :)

The last couple of times around Europe, we’ve counted a lot more S1000XR’s than GS’s. And they have a chain, and hard suspension. ;)

The last couple of times around Europe, we’ve counted a lot more S1000XR’s than GS’s. And they have a chain, and hard suspension. ;)

And don't forget the hideous vibes they produce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That used to make me chuckle, as the vibes were non existent, compared to the GS! :D

There’s even a thread here at the moment about how much the current GS vibrates with the standard exhaust on. ;)

He couldn't wait to get rid of it because it scared him to death and he couldn't handle the power is a more likely tale, he just couldn't admit it

Tried one earlier in the year. It certainly scared me to death, my brain just doesn't work that fast anymore, cracking bike though. I've currently got a 790 Duke on loan, it's like a mini missile, the hooligan that's buried deep inside me raised it's ugly head before I managed to beat it back down again.

Was at my local BMW dealers on Saturday, got chatting to a guy with a KTM 1290GT, completely unprompted he said he couldn’t wait to sell it, only done about 1800 miles but he couldn’t get on with it because the suspension was so bad, unsettled and wallowed when pushed even moderately hard on the road. KTM clearly can’t design electronic suspension as well as BMW.

would have thought it way more likley that the idiot has fucked about with the settings because he dont know enough to leave well alone, and right royally fucked it up.
On factory setting the suspension on the 1290GT was more than up to the job

well I have in the past owned an xt250, xt500, ridden countless triumphs (old ones) I currently own and ride a ktm 640, so NO the S1000xr does not vibrate at all, it is smooth as silk.
Having also ridden H1/H2's and GT500 and GT750 back in the day there is not a bike made in the last 30 years that can touch them for bad handling everything pales into insignificance against the likes of the near fatal handling on a 3 pot 2 stroke 750.

in retrospect you youngsters need to grow some and get over youselves :)

I am not a fan of the semi active suspension, but the 2017-2019 KTM Super Adventure-S stuff is way better than the two 2018 GS models I tested with it fitted - so I bought a 1290S.

The GS also felt very flat, at the time I had my 1190, the GS could barely match the 1190 below 4k, and from there onwards the GS was plainly feeble with a big hole in the mid range and a wheezy top end.

I understand the 1250 has given the GS some extra low down and midrange which may bring it up to an acceptable (if not exciting) level of performance, but if the suspension is the same I will not be considering a GS as in my view the KTM does everything at least as well as the GS, and most things better, the one exception would be pillion comfort, but the Mrs has her own bike so that is of no concern to me - I can buy whatever the f**k I Want :)

Back
Top Bottom