When did servo ABS brakes get introduced for 1150GS?

pint6x

Reaction score
As titles says: When did the troublesome servo ABS brakes get introduced on the 1150 GS?

Did any '02 bikes get the older more reliable set up?

Would all '51 plate bikes have the old setup?

Is there an easy way to tell from photographs which type of ABS the bike has, or where the ABS rings the same size/appearance?

Thanks peeps.

6X

My bike registered March 02 is pre servo.

Sent from my HTC U Ultra using Tapatalk

My 02 was also pre servo.
For the 1150GS the servo also saw the change to twin spark, so the spark plugs covers are a good guide.
Also the lights lost their on/off switch from the handlebars when the servo arrived.
Substantial cast abs ring is fitted to non servo. Pressed steel plate on servo bikes.
I believe the calipers are also different on the servo bikes.

Pre servo ABS is a pretty reliable system, mine have been faultless for 17 years.

So yes, a 51 reg bike will not have servo abs.

Don’t know if this helps, my 1150 Gs was manufactured in 2002, according to the fuel filter, I purchased in March 2003.
It’s fitted with ASB 2, didn’t have any issues until I had a service done at Bluebell Crewe, requesting the brake fluid to be changed..
Did a tour of Switzerland, came home and had the dreaded ABS failure, all sorted by Williams of Manchester for the cost of labour.
So since 2007 absolutely no issues with mine, (so far) :rob

If the bike is a twin spark i.e. Tadpole shaped spark plug covers in the rocker covers it has Servo/integral ABS

Usually September 2002 onwards (2003 model year)

To further verify, its as easy as looking at the dash panel

ABSII when you switch on the ignition has two ABS lamps that flash on and off together (Providing there is not a fault code) they do ***this blinking until you start the engine and ride off until it "sees" the ABS senders working then the lights both go out

Integral or Servo ABS has one of the lamps that blinks very fast 7 times (I think) and then one blinks on and off and then as above when you ride off ***

Thanks for the replies chaps - so twin-spark heads = servo brakes and single-spark = non-servo by the sound of it.

I have had both a single spark and a twin spark bike in the past, and they were non-servo and servo respectively.

To add to the confusion, my buddy's single spark and mine twin both come with servo ABS brakes and both 03.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

That's interesting, I've never heard of GS 1150 with single spark with SERVO abs.
I know the 1150RT came in single spark and servo though.

That's interesting, I've never heard of GS 1150 with single spark with SERVO abs.
I know the 1150RT came in single spark and servo though.

And mine makes 3, according to the date on the fuel filler 2002, when I changed it. I bought it new in March 2003 from Mill BMW on Tyne-Side.. I got set up,and did the deal there and then, but that’s another story. :rob

I have a single spark with ABS 2. 03 plate but manufactured in 02. The fluid has been flushed every year and abs is still perfect at 53K.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

On servo brake caliber it reads BMW. Non servo has BREMBO text, I think.

Thanks for the replies chaps - so twin-spark heads = servo brakes and single-spark = non-servo by the sound of it.

I have had both a single spark and a twin spark bike in the past, and they were non-servo and servo respectively.

Easiest way to check is the lights 2 rectangular lights above each other flashing on and off together is ABS II NON servo

One lamp blinking fast and then a light settling into an on off pattern is the Servo assist (also called Integral braking system) version also applying a brake lever will lead to electric motor sounds from under the tank

very basic ABS evolution on BMW bikes

ABS1 was introduced on K bikes and had Two ABS motors usually outboard behind the riders feet (early K1 were hidden in the fairing and bodywork)

ABSII ABS 2 was a one piece unit and was fitted to K bikes and Oilhead R series basically it stayed in one evolution until some idiot had the bright idea of servo assistance!

SERVO assist Brakes were known as Integral Braking systems and used up until about 2006 year production (Needs verified)

The problem with the early version (up to 2006) was that if they had "any" failure you lost servo assistance and ended up with residual braking at about 20% of what you were used to!
Simple things like holding a brake lever on while switching on would stop them from doing their self checks, more complex things like insufficient fluid changes (because there were 2 control circuits and 2 brake circuits) led to internal failures and most were de servo'd

The latest version "if" it fails leaves you with no ABS but with normal power braking (Thank Feck!) and if you get the no motor power fault code you can fit a Fiesta Mk9 abs motor to your pump It works fine

Easiest way to check is the lights 2 rectangular lights above each other flashing on and off together is ABS II NON servo

One lamp blinking fast and then a light settling into an on off pattern is the Servo assist (also called Integral braking system) version also applying a brake lever will lead to electric motor sounds from under the tank

very basic ABS evolution on BMW bikes

ABS1 was introduced on K bikes and had Two ABS motors usually outboard behind the riders feet (early K1 were hidden in the fairing and bodywork)

ABSII ABS 2 was a one piece unit and was fitted to K bikes and Oilhead R series basically it stayed in one evolution until some idiot had the bright idea of servo assistance!

SERVO assist Brakes were known as Integral Braking systems and used up until about 2006 year production (Needs verified)

The problem with the early version (up to 2006) was that if they had "any" failure you lost servo assistance and ended up with residual braking at about 20% of what you were used to!
Simple things like holding a brake lever on while switching on would stop them from doing their self checks, more complex things like insufficient fluid changes (because there were 2 control circuits and 2 brake circuits) led to internal failures and most were de servo'd

The latest version "if" it fails leaves you with no ABS but with normal power braking (Thank Feck!) and if you get the no motor power fault code you can fit a Fiesta Mk9 abs motor to your pump It works fine
Wow. And you can tell all that from a photograph?

Sorry, couldn't resist, but good info if at the bike!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I have an 03 1150gs twin spark

it has neither abs or servo brakes

rear drive has no place for abs sensor so it all came from the factory like that

or am I wrong

I have an 03 1150gs twin spark

it has neither abs or servo brakes

rear drive has no place for abs sensor so it all came from the factory like that

or am I wrong

No, you aren't wrong

You have a non ABS bike and I have a 2005 one just like it - in fact I ordered it new like that from the factory, same as yours

Back
Top Bottom