Chain Adjustment

Hoff

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a F700GS (2017) and will be changing chain and sprockets soon.
My question is why do you do the chain adjustment on the side stand and not the centre stand (according to the BMW service manual) ?
Sorry if this has been asked before!!
Cheers
Paul

I have a F700GS (2017) and will be changing chain and sprockets soon.
My question is why do you do the chain adjustment on the side stand and not the centre stand (according to the BMW service manual) ?
Sorry if this has been asked before!!
Cheers
Paul

Side stands are standard equipment, whilst centre stands are optional extra’s..
Not all F GS have the centre stand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likely to be so that there is some compression on the rear suspension on the side stand. On centre stand the rear suspension will be almost fully extended and the chain tension will be different (greater- if I recall correctly). As you have the chain connected to sprung and unsprung pointe the tension will change with the movement of the suspension. As said above all bikes have side stands so this is the best reference point and will take account of all positions of the suspension.

Adjustment spec is 30-40mm on side stand. Adjust to 40mm on centre stand and that will be good.

The way I do mine . . . . . .

Set the tension as per the manufacturers reccomendations on the side stand.

Put the bike on the centre stand and measure the chain slack at the same point that you used when the bike was on the side stand.

Make up a "thing" to the size you measured when the bike was on the centre stand . . .

. . . and use the "thing" to check your chain slack before every ride :thumby:

SIMPLE (or is that me?)

My "thing" is a bit of wood cut to size at one end for my F8GS, with the other end the right size for my Transalp :D Just slips between the chain and the swing arm, quickly showing any need for chain adjustment.

Steve T

:cool:

I bought one of those chain monkey things despite all but one of my bikes having final drive chains and I think that over the years, I’m pretty good at adjusting a chain correctly. Have to say it’s a good little tool and you get the adjustment correct every time and it stops a lot of faffing around.

Mine hardly ever needs adjusting. I suppose last time it was done was on new tyre fitting last year (~ 3000 miles ago) . Didn't need adjusting at this years service either in March and still doesn't .Still OK when measured on the centre stand and sprockets still look good - no hint of hooking. I use Wurth high performance dry chain lube regularly, so wonder if that's it ?

I think it’s more down to better quality components used these days as my AT is now over 16k and both chain and sprockets are fine and adjustment is infrequent. I reckon it’ll easily do more than 20k before needed replacing.

I bought one of those chain monkey things despite all but one of my bikes having final drive chains and I think that over the years, I’m pretty good at adjusting a chain correctly. Have to say it’s a good little tool and you get the adjustment correct every time and it stops a lot of faffing around.

+1 for the Chain Monkey, makes adjusting chain tension a doddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it’s more down to better quality components used these days as my AT is now over 16k and both chain and sprockets are fine and adjustment is infrequent. I reckon it’ll easily do more than 20k before needed replacing.

The chain and sprockets I have on now are the ones that replaced the original rubbish Czeck chains that used to snap when the bike was first released. They were replaced under warranty at about 3000 miles and they're not bad quality at all - 21000 miles with them so far and rare adjustments and I think got loads left ….. unless they suddenly deteriorate exponentially !!

+3 for chain monkey. Its consistent and takes the guess work out of chain tension.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

I have a chain monkey knocking about. How about £17 posted uk if anyone needs a used one. Still works, just greasy..

Back
Top Bottom