Rough running

stratblue

genoQian
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My very own recording studio! (South Wales).
Hi All.

Not been enjoying the 2011 GSA so much lately, it's been really running rough. I've changed all 4 coils for new ones and put a new TPS on, been to Hilltop and all this has improved matters but I still don't reckon it's right. The low speed running is dodgy, sometimes as I let out the clutch in 1st and start to open the throttle I catch it in almost a stall and the throttle feels more like an on/off switch. When closing the throttle at speed there is a lot of popping on the over run, I have blocked the exhaust pipe outlets and the engine continues to run but when I go over the joints of the pipe I can't find any leaks so I was wondering if anyone here could suggest what to do next. Also, is there a sort of South Wales BMW Yoda character with a magic box he could plug in to the bike and see if there are any problems? Would a dyno session reveal anything?

Thanks.

Hi

A friend of mine has been experiencing rough running with a 2005 r1200 gs. He too has tried different coils and plugs etc.
Nothing coming up when plugged into a 911 diagnostic unit.

Whilst we we were away on a tour a couple of weeks ago in the Black Forest he had some issues and swapping the idle control units cleared it.

Not sure how helpful but you never know .

As they control idle (obviously) if one is not opening/closing properly it could affect running through the rev range.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

do the valve clearances and then a compression test... if that's good balance the throttle bodies, reset idle stepper motor if still if no good then come back

do the valve clearances and then a compression test... if that's good balance the throttle bodies, reset idle stepper motor if still if no good then come back
+1 for throttle body balance.

Steptoe recently serviced mine (also a 2011) and he balanced them - though he did point out that the software is a slight restriction on how pernickerty you can be in adjusting them - But in short the bike is running great now - it had become lumpy and trying to stall sometimes before the service.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

that's incorrect, always do valve clearances before you balance or it could be a long way out and your making things worse

that's incorrect, always do valve clearances before you balance or it could be a long way out and your making things worse
You're quite right. I omitted to mention that was also part of the service done... He did tell me they were all good though, no new shims need

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I don’t think any of my 1200s have ever needed new shims in the collective 140k miles I have done on them...BUT you are right to point that out

Back
Top Bottom