Centre Stand Locking Mod

Think the reminder is absolutely a must for us forgetful one,s, imagine if we forget and try to push it off center stand the lock might bend the gear adjuster, but is not a 100% sure as I am only going by the picture, maybe Fred can say better, I love the idea, and calling Mark Hooton to the batphone.

Especially if Marc did an exchange unit. Send him your stand and he sends you one back that he’s already done.

Nice one Fred, excellent idea. I may well copy if you dont mind.

As mentioned earlier, anybody is welcome to copy the idea, including that nice Mr Hooton if you can persuade him to. I did have some discussion with him previously, but I think there are some practical difficulties in offering an exchange service. For example low chassis bikes have a shorter stand, and there may be model year differences too.

Think the reminder is absolutely a must for us forgetful one,s, imagine if we forget and try to push it off center stand the lock might bend the gear adjuster, but is not a 100% sure as I am only going by the picture, maybe Fred can say better, I love the idea, and calling Mark Hooton to the batphone.
I have tested trying to take it off the stand and there is very limited movement possible before the lock bar jams against the centre stand bracket on the bike's frame. This gives a good 10mm clearance from the gear shift rod, so shouldn't be a problem so long as the hole in the new bracket is in the optimum place, though this may vary depending on what make of lock you use.

Cracking idea well executed. I think I'd tend to paint the disc lock black and not put one of the reminders on the bars. 1..You can't accidently ride off with the lock in place. 2...The reminder is showing any scrote trying to take your bike, exactly where the problem is.
Thanks. I had considered that, but there are arguments both ways. You could argue that by seeing it they are put off and don't bother trying, whereas if they don't notice it they may break the steering lock and cut a chunk out of the front disk before discovering the additional lock. On balance I decided to go with the extra deterrent effect of making it visible.

This very thread makes the £12 a year or 5 shillings a week for the old 'uns worthwhile.

Personally I'd go for the hi viz; there's lots of other bikes that'll be far easier to steal, it is all about getting them to bypass yours toward theirs.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

This very thread makes the £12 a year or 5 shillings a week for the old 'uns worthwhile.

Personally I'd go for the hi viz; there's lots of other bikes that'll be far easier to steal, it is all about getting them to bypass yours toward theirs.

Thanks TAG, and I hope you are back to full riding fitness ASAP.

Cough medecine must be working, finally a worthwhile post......

I have a contact who could laser cut cheaply if We develop enough interest? I am happy to weld up anyone's stand / locking point if they can get it to me off the bike (Manchester) FOC for the specific GS owner. let me know if its worth getting a quote on a small batch of laser cut units?

I have a contact who could laser cut cheaply if We develop enough interest? I am happy to weld up anyone's stand / locking point if they can get it to me off the bike (Manchester) FOC for the specific GS owner. let me know if its worth getting a quote on a small batch of laser cut units?

I'm in :)

I think the sticking point for most people is going to be getting the stand off the bike and getting it back on again. I have quite a bit of mechanical experience and I found it extremely difficult. If you need to get a dealer to take your stand off and then put it back on afterwards, it is going to be an expensive undertaking.

Haha - I did think it would be neat to have a solenoid under the bike which pushes a metal rod into the hole in the bracket whenever you operate the steering lock, but decided that was a little over-ambitious! :D

Nice mod. Apropos nothing in particular, the Tmax Mk6 comes with an integrated electric centre stand lock. I don't understand why centre stand locks aren't as widely provided by manufacturers as steering locks, they are a great idea.

I'm pretty sure the new T-Max has a locking main stand although I believe it is electronic ?

This is such a simple idea and they are often the best :thumb2

I had a GSX1100FJ 20 years ago and a local chap made a bracket which he welded under the frame. When the bike was on the canter stand it met the bracket. Both stand and bracket had the holes for an Abus padlock which then locked the stand in position. No room either to get at the lock with a grinder.

He had the same problem as mentioned in earlier threads about trying to get a Patent for it. Great idea just never got developed further.

Just an update on this:

I have changed to using my Oxford Monster chain padlock with this. The bar in the disk lock I was using seems a little thinner and because I made the hole larger than it needed to be the lock moves more than I would like when I test trying to take the bike off the stand while locked. The plastic side pieces on the lock which are designed to limit access to the bar can twist and get quite close to the gear shift rod. I don't think even a determined effort to take the bike off the stand would cause enough movement to damage the gearshift, but the chunkier chain padlock moves less and doesn't have such big side extensions.

Just shows that the size and position of the hole in the bracket is quite critical, so anyone doing this mod should make sure that you make it as tight fitting as possible for the lock you intend to use, and put the hole as close to the bike frame as possible without actually overlapping with it. The other option would be to put it on the other side of the bike, which I did consider, but preferred to have it on the side you normally approach the bike from.

It is possible to test fit the modified stand to the bike, and put the bike up on it without fitting the springs so that you can start with a small hole and then enlarge it if needed, before taking off again for painting or powder coating.

Thanks Fred for the extra information. I wish I lived closer, as I think your idea, whilst being simple, will also be very affective.

Well done.......:beerjug:

Thanks Fred for the extra information. I wish I lived closer, as I think your idea, whilst being simple, will also be very affective.

Well done.......:beerjug:

Thanks. I just feel a bit of responsibility in case others try this, and don't want them to have problems!

I've messed about with this some more and concluded that the movement is not so much due to an oversize hole, though that doesn't help, but more due to the clearance gap between the new bracket and the frame bracket behind it. As the stand tries to rotate on its pivot there is a sort of scissors action between the two which makes the lock bar tilt a bit before it jams, which allow some rotation of the stand.

Being a bit of a perfectionist, ideally I would have a matching bracket welded to the bit of frame the stand pivots off, with this in close contact to the bracket on the stand, and the holes in both lined up exactly when the bike is on the stand. I think with an arrangement like that there would be virtually no movement possible.

Anyway I've tried really hard to push the bike forward off the stand and although it moves more than I expected, at the end of the day it does stop the stand and even using the disk lock rather than the padlock there seems no danger of damaging the gearshift, so I'm going to stop worrying about it. After all the idea is deterrence, so I'm hoping it won't get tested again!

Back
Top Bottom