Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: livigno/stelvio

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Wapping, I understand you are a big fan of Kurviger (I am too) but, to be fair, he can spare the first few hundred miles of French B roads taking the motorway all the way towards Reims and then point towards Metz or Nancy. Saves him several hours (if not a day in total back and forth) of travel time.
    I've been traveling to Italy by motorbike semi-regularly over the years and there is really no need to waste time over the first bit after Calais. Just clear it as quickly as possible.

i know people will say
    Stelvio is overrated

Enjoy your trip.
    R1150R '03 [on hiatus]
    R1200GS Adv '07
    HP2 Sport '11
    [I'm the biggest limit on my bike]

Quote Originally Posted by er-minio View Post
    Wapping, I understand you are a big fan of Kurviger (I am too) but, to be fair, he can spare the first few hundred miles of French B roads taking the motorway all the way towards Reims and then point towards Metz or Nancy. Saves him several hours (if not a day in total back and forth) of travel time.
    I've been traveling to Italy by motorbike semi-regularly over the years and there is really no need to waste time over the first bit after Calais. Just clear it as quickly as possible.

Stelvio is overrated

Enjoy your trip.
    Agreed - that's what I do too!
    "I must be traveling on now 'cause there's too many places I've got to see.

He wanted to avoid motorways, as they all do.

I just wanted to create something simple for the bod to look at, only because (in a very roundabout way) he’d asked for routes and then expanded the request to include Arras and the ‘ring into his total of eight days away ending in Livigno, via the Stelvio. Kurviger is just a convenient way to do it. I had hoped - in the tip at the end - that when he looks at the route, the distances he wants to travel, the time spent and the roads it has taken him down, he’ll amend it to suit his needs. The alternative is to map it out fully for him, road by road.

PS His eight days maybe includes a day getting from home - Manchester, we discover, after pushing him a bit - to Calais / Arras and another day back again. Bods often forget this. If so, he’s down to six days. He’d better get up a bit earlier if he wants to avoid motorways, lap the ‘ring, do both sides of the Stelvio and be chilling with beers in Livigno by 14:30.

I just wanted to create something simple for the bod to look at, only because (in a very roundabout way) [...]
    I get it.

He wanted to avoid motorways, as they all do.
    I understand. IMHO, the sensible advice there is: suck it up ad put as many miles as quickly as you can after Calais until you are after Arras or closer to Reims
    I've tried many alternatives to motorways over there – just a (boring) waste of time. Better to get to the nice routes (south) quicker.

By the way, northern France apart, I wanted to thank you because I discovered Kurviger when you first started posting about it, and it has been quite handy more than a few times when traveling in areas I didn't know well.
    R1150R '03 [on hiatus]
    R1200GS Adv '07
    HP2 Sport '11

The great thing about A to B or even A to Z, via all the letters in between, is that there is sometimes lots of choice but sometimes no choice at all.

I get it.

By the way, northern France apart, I wanted to thank you because I discovered Kurviger when you first started posting about it, and it has been quite handy more than a few times when traveling in areas I didn't know well.
    I wish they had a "rubber band" option though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    The great thing about A to B or even A to Z, via all the letters in between, is that there is sometimes lots of choice but sometimes no choice at all.

Very profound.

Quote Originally Posted by Khulu View Post
    I wish they had a "rubber band" option though.
    They do in a way.

On a iPad if I ask Kurviger for London to Birmingham A to B, I get a single line. I can move the line by touching and dragging it. The point(s) I let of at gets what I’d call, a waypoint.

Of course it’s easier to manipulate the route in BaseCamp or Mapsource but many bods don’t want to do that. They want to be told how to go from A to B. The easier that they can then load that route into their GPS the better. I blame the schools and the parents.

Very profound.

I thought so, too.

It does though highlight the difficulty telling bods how to get from A to B, avoiding motorways or, indeed, taking them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    They do in a way.

On a iPad if I ask Kurviger for London to Birmingham A to B, I get a single line. I can move the line by touching and dragging it. The point(s) I let of at gets what I’d call, a waypoint.
    I don't have "i" items and generally use a laptop or pc. I use Google for their "rubber band" facility but I like kurviger for the terrain and distance tool as I follow the road.

Can’t you do the same on a PC?

I have never tried. I will give it a go at work.

It’s odd perhaps, but I find Google map’s rubber band thing really hard but, unlike many, very easy in BaseCamp on a Mac.

Can’t you do the same on a PC?
    No, there is no rubberbanding on the desktop view of Kurviger.
    Weirdly enough it will display the shaping point (or waypoint) if you hover on the route, but click and drag and it moves the map around rather than modifying the route.

If that happens on mobile devices it might well be a simple UI error. I mean: the function is there but it is not triggered properly by click inputs.

I'm not a fan of it as well to be honest. I prefer editing in BaseCamp. Steeper learning curve, but more accurate results.
    R1150R '03 [on hiatus]
    R1200GS Adv '07
    HP2 Sport '11

livigno/stelvio

Strange that it works on an iPad.

I admit that it sometimes drags the map but here’s an example of me shaping a route by touching the blue line and dragging it, rather like rubber banding.

Route A to B

Zoomed in at Banbury

Rubber banded to miss out Bodicote, just south of Banbury, by touching the blue line and dragging it

Kurviger even sorted out the best sequence to put the two new waypoints in. I had dragged the blue line first to the position that is now shown as two.

Now dragged again, a bit further south, showing that point 2 has become 3, point 1 has become 2 and we have a fresh waypoint 1

Ah – I think I found how it works!

If you hover and drag = you move the map.

You have to click to place the pointer/flag, then drag the flag directly:

Is this what you were after Khulu, right?
    R1150R '03 [on hiatus]
    R1200GS Adv '07
    HP2 Sport '11

Ah – I think I found how it works!
    Jolly good.

Kurviger has just got better for you.

It really is very good at suggesting routes, using its four pre-set parameters, A to B. Being able to drag the route to fine tune the suggestion is a real additional bonus. In theory at least, nobody now needs to ask how to get from anywhere to anywhere else via anywhere.

Another useful Kurviger trick is to change the maps, up to and including satellite views.

Pish!

Livigno - Bormio - Passo Stelvio is less than 40 miles in less 1 1/2 hours.
    Must be my memory that takes ages then

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast