livigno/stelvio

The great thing about A to B or even A to Z, via all the letters in between, is that there is sometimes lots of choice but sometimes no choice at all.

:beerjug:

I get it.

By the way, northern France apart, I wanted to thank you because I discovered Kurviger when you first started posting about it, and it has been quite handy more than a few times when traveling in areas I didn't know well. :)

I wish they had a "rubber band" option though.

I wish they had a "rubber band" option though.

They do in a way.

On a iPad if I ask Kurviger for London to Birmingham A to B, I get a single line. I can move the line by touching and dragging it. The point(s) I let of at gets what I’d call, a waypoint.

Of course it’s easier to manipulate the route in BaseCamp or Mapsource but many bods don’t want to do that. They want to be told how to go from A to B. The easier that they can then load that route into their GPS the better. I blame the schools and the parents.

They do in a way.

On a iPad if I ask Kurviger for London to Birmingham A to B, I get a single line. I can move the line by touching and dragging it. The point(s) I let of at gets what I’d call, a waypoint.

I don't have "i" items and generally use a laptop or pc. I use Google for their "rubber band" facility but I like kurviger for the terrain and distance tool as I follow the road.

Can’t you do the same on a PC?

I have never tried. I will give it a go at work.

It’s odd perhaps, but I find Google map’s rubber band thing really hard but, unlike many, very easy in BaseCamp on a Mac.

Can’t you do the same on a PC?

No, there is no rubberbanding on the desktop view of Kurviger.
Weirdly enough it will display the shaping point (or waypoint) if you hover on the route, but click and drag and it moves the map around rather than modifying the route.

If that happens on mobile devices it might well be a simple UI error. I mean: the function is there but it is not triggered properly by click inputs.

I'm not a fan of it as well to be honest. I prefer editing in BaseCamp. Steeper learning curve, but more accurate results.

Strange that it works on an iPad.

I admit that it sometimes drags the map but here’s an example of me shaping a route by touching the blue line and dragging it, rather like rubber banding.

Route A to B

74b22243b87535eea6be6a17449dd1ee.jpg

Zoomed in at Banbury

42b2df377c854e18fba6f0d2653906ad.jpg

Rubber banded to miss out Bodicote, just south of Banbury, by touching the blue line and dragging it

956741b8f778fdc74f40329714c6c0c4.jpg

Kurviger even sorted out the best sequence to put the two new waypoints in. I had dragged the blue line first to the position that is now shown as two.

Now dragged again, a bit further south, showing that point 2 has become 3, point 1 has become 2 and we have a fresh waypoint 1

4c8aeed2e56b1d7d4a9ebf102a1e2fa2.jpg

Ah – I think I found how it works!

If you hover and drag = you move the map.

You have to click to place the pointer/flag, then drag the flag directly:

rubber.gif

Is this what you were after Khulu, right?

Jolly good.

Kurviger has just got better for you.

It really is very good at suggesting routes, using its four pre-set parameters, A to B. Being able to drag the route to fine tune the suggestion is a real additional bonus. In theory at least, nobody now needs to ask how to get from anywhere to anywhere else via anywhere.

Another useful Kurviger trick is to change the maps, up to and including satellite views.

If you hover and drag = you move the map.

You have to click to place the pointer/flag, then drag the flag directly:

rubber.gif

Is this what you were after Khulu, right?

Fantastic!!!!
Highlight of my week - thank you very, very much.
It's the simple things in life that can bring so much pleasure to so many (well, me anyway) :beerjug::beerjug::bounce1:bounce1:bounce1:bounce1:bounce1:bounce1:bounce1:bounce1

How did you video what you did and then post it on here?

I now can't wait until lunchtime - sod it, I won't.
I'm on it now!

Khulu said:
How did you video what you did and then post it on here?

I’d like to know that too, please.

I use Mac. You can do the same on a PC with other software of course.
Quicktime Player can be used to record the screen: full screen or a portion of it.

01.png

02.png

03.png

You end up with a .mov video (it's an mp4 in a quicktime container = mov).
You can then upload it directly to youtube or, like I did here, convert it into an animated GIF (so it shows directly in the post).
I use GIF Brewery for that: https://gfycat.com/gifbrewery

It generates a larger file (GIF was never meant for video) but it could be useful sometimes. GIF can be ok with flat-ish graphics/colours, will be horrendous with proper video and will also generate ginormous files. For this reason, better to stick to proper videos hosted on YouTube or Vimeo or the service of your choice.

;)

its easily done in 8 days - I was there last week, it was rather cold!

also from the north of England, we sailed Hull to Rotterdam. 1st night in Saarbrucken, 2nd in tittissee, up the stelvio (from the umbrail pass) on the 3rd day and stayed the 3rd and 4th nights in Bormio (which i'd recommend over Livigno)

returned via Grindlewald (which from bormio was a fantastic days riding) and colmar, and a little spa town near the nurburgring. you could cut time out in lots of places, but we were on holiday and wanted to take our time. That said, we had a fair chunk of motorways in there, bar some days. We were riding from about 08:30 til about 3:30 most days so had time to unwind at the hotels and see the towns.

The stelvio... I can see why you feel you need to do it - but there are much better (the gavia around the corner being one!)

Back
Top Bottom