gog’s XT600 basket case rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

gog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
picked up a 1991 xt600 mostly in bits. going to rebuild it so probably have a few questions so rather keep it all in one thread than clutter up the section.

i’m new to the thumpers section but not to the forum, been here a wee while.

first up, the front wheel has a mechanical brake rather than disc so i assume someone’s used whatever they had around. the rear has a disk brake.

going to put back on disk in front so assume i need a different wheel. forks look correct?

is there a ‘go to’ parts supplier for these bikes, like a motorworks equivalent? any help appreciated.

a8e81cf1f2d63e246ca6174353c271ec.jpg

5408c5d41b8355cb1ee7a4433707b129.jpg

1f628e482267534e20d2a954a326804c.jpg

976b9477c6310dc02eecd8b4f354b8ca.jpg

084adc124e63a6e53914517e06081467.jpg

303f9c0a275a53a37238ee19a5fb3249.jpg

Agreed, the original XT500 had a drum brake ( and 21" wheel) that looked a little like that, perhaps that's what you have?

cheers chaps. i thought the brake may be off a 500/550 but doesn’t look the same design to me.

the forks do have lugs for a caliper, found a set on ebay that look the same off a 3AJ tenere. front caliper off any 600XT should hopefully fit, i’ll measure the lug separation.

My girlfriend (back in the day) had an XT550 and I had the '93 600. K870 BUX what happened to you? (after you got stolen in Birmingham)

She always complained when I braked sharply as she only had drums. She nearly rear ended me several times.

I have just finished restoring my 1988 XT350 that was a bit of a mess when I received it. It was a very enjoyable experience other than trying to source bodywork parts as most 350's were used for green lane riding and from that most were dropped at some point.
It has been a more expensive project than I anticipated but worth it as these bikes are becoming quite rare. The bike is currently in my local bike shop having the carbs balanced as she runs very rough. with the XT350, Yamaha come up with the bright idea of using a dual carb system on a single cylinder engine so not many workshops want to get involved in that as they prefer new plug and play bikes. Fortunately the mechanic has grown up with the old XT's and knows how to deal with them.

Yamaha come up with the bright idea of using a dual carb system on a single cylinder engine

Not just dual carbs,but a slide carb combined with a CV one. :blast

The XT550 and 600 were the same.

Their theory was a slide for rapid and responsive action at low speeds, changing to the CV for higher throttle openings.

thanks for the input guys. yeah the 600 has the dual carbs too.

the front wheel and hub/brake i have are off an early 80's maico 490 apparently. the forks are off a 3AJ tenere. the engine is out a 2KF and the frame a 43F. truly a bitsa :D

i have another job to finish quickly now i have some garage time and then will be cracking on with the XT. I need a front wheel and brake from a 1AJ or 3TB, and a crankshaft. rest is all there from what i can see.

I have got a lot of stuff from Wemoto, I'll check who else I bought from when I was doing mine up

I can also take photos of any bits you need, mine is a 2003 though should be broadly similar (can't do that for about 2 weeks though)

thanks NJ, though i think i have it sussed. someone’s put a maico front setup on it and whole bike is cobbled together from various bits from different years.

instead of a resto, which i may have done if all parts were matched and original, it’s going together mechanically sound but rough and ready, it’s never going to be a valuable, original machine.

stripped to frame, almost finished my one outstanding job and then will crack on with this.

If it was mine, and I wanted to ride it, I wouldn’t worry about the non-standard front end. The disc brake looks ok to me and as long as the forks control the old up and down why worry :aidan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom