Which roads and place to stay

Wonkey donkey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Chaps I am heading from Dumfries on Tuesday back to Nottingham and having never been to the Pennines or North Yorks dales thought a few roads around there would be good. Not particularly looking for a route but heading from North to South what are the roads I should hit?

Also will stay the night somewhere before heading back the next day so recommendations south Yorks dales would be appreciated. A nice pub, real ales, village, quaint, you know the score.

Cheers

Hi,

For accommodation you could try these places around 10 miles out of Skipton bottom edge of the dales

Craven Arms Appletreewick they have camping pods or could stay in a yurt at Masons Campsite - Two great pubs in the village and one of my favourite views looking down the valley when at Parceval Hall Gardens near by.

The Fountaine at Linton - Ford in front of the pub if you want to make an entrance.

Lister Arms at Malham - If you can tear yourself away from the beer the cove is easy walking as well as Janet’s Foss

The Falcon Inn at Arncliffe where beer still served from a jug, shame the old landlord is not still there proper dry Yorkshire humour.

Great roads all around this area. Try Tan hill inn, butter tubs pass, Hawes, Ribblehead Viaduct, back road to Arncliffe or Malham coming out Horton in Ribblesdale, kilsney cragg, Linton, Burnsall, Appletreewick, Bolton Abbey, Storiths, Langbar, Ilkley usually we’re my evening ride out takes in the summer

Hi,

For accommodation you could try these places around 10 miles out of Skipton bottom edge of the dales

Craven Arms Appletreewick they have camping pods or could stay in a yurt at Masons Campsite - Two great pubs in the village and one of my favourite views looking down the valley when at Parceval Hall Gardens near by.

The Fountaine at Linton - Ford in front of the pub if you want to make an entrance.

Lister Arms at Malham - If you can tear yourself away from the beer the cove is easy walking as well as Janet’s Foss

The Falcon Inn at Arncliffe where beer still served from a jug, shame the old landlord is not still there proper dry Yorkshire humour.

Great roads all around this area. Try Tan hill inn, butter tubs pass, Hawes, Ribblehead Viaduct, back road to Arncliffe or Malham coming out Horton in Ribblesdale, kilsney cragg, Linton, Burnsall, Appletreewick, Bolton Abbey, Storiths, Langbar, Ilkley usually we’re my evening ride out takes in the summer

What he said

ce2ec5de1612cff7de6b6e25a91f4bf9.jpg

503720c0b5deb4bf6e5427016b2bc1b1.jpg

With roads and views like this ....what's not to like?

Once again the 'local' knowledge network is of great use.

Thank you gentlemen that's exactly the info I was looking for and very much appreciated. :beerjug:

If you're on the M6 heading North, then dropping off at Junct 36 and keeping on the A6 up over Shap breaks the monotony of the M6. A6 here is quiet and fast and parallel to the M6 with very few towns/villages to reduce the speed/flow :)

Rejoin the M6 at Penrith

I's got lots of 60-80mph sweepers

Gents apologies on the accomodation request but we are now going to spend a little more time, extra night in the dales.

Happy with suggested inns near Skipton but now need similar at the North of the Dales, so Nateby etc

Many Thanks

Did a trip from Wilts to Dumfries and stayed for 3 days.

The first night we stayed in this pub, near Penrith, really good beer, rooms ok, food good, parking good. £50 a night

https://www.facebook.com/queensheadtirril/

Then we spent 2 nights in a brilliant Hotel in Dumfries, very bike friendly and run by a nice couple who are bikers

http://www.huntingdonhotel.co.uk

I have a good route that goes from the Penrith place and loops to Dumfries about 180 miles, some good roads. Also couple of good days rides using Dumfries as a base.

All the roads are pretty good around there though :)

Did a trip from Wilts to Dumfries and stayed for 3 days.

The first night we stayed in this pub, near Penrith, really good beer, rooms ok, food good, parking good. £50 a night

https://www.facebook.com/queensheadtirril/

Then we spent 2 nights in a brilliant Hotel in Dumfries, very bike friendly and run by a nice couple who are bikers

http://www.huntingdonhotel.co.uk

I have a good route that goes from the Penrith place and loops to Dumfries about 180 miles, some good roads. Also couple of good days rides using Dumfries as a base.

All the roads are pretty good around there though :)

Stayed at the Huntingdon a couple of years ago. We are heading from Scotland and need accomodation on or near the edge of Northern border of the dales so Dumfries is out, but thanks.

Not trying to be funny but have you been to the Lake District or North Yorkshire Moors and East Coast seaside village and towns?

If your a group who get up early, you will easily do loads of the Dales, more than I suggested above, leaving you with a day to go to places mentioned above.

I don’t know any pubs in the North of the Dales, but if you don’t mind hostels, Danny’s spot at Haggs Barn at Alston is good and he is a biker, pubs a couple of miles away.

The Sill at Hadrians wall is a new Youth Hostel with a brewery at the side which serves reasonable food, both are within easy access of Hartside Pass, which is a brilliant road on A686.

I may not have grasped the time you have

Not trying to be funny but have you been to the Lake District or North Yorkshire Moors and East Coast seaside village and towns?

If your a group who get up early, you will easily do loads of the Dales, more than I suggested above, leaving you with a day to go to places mentioned above.

I don’t know any pubs in the North of the Dales, but if you don’t mind hostels, Danny’s spot at Haggs Barn at Alston is good and he is a biker, pubs a couple of miles away.

The Sill at Hadrians wall is a new Youth Hostel with a brewery at the side which serves reasonable food, both are within easy access of Hartside Pass, which is a brilliant road on A686.

I may not have grasped the time you have

I tend to change my mind several times before settling on a route/s. I really like the idea of the Lister Arms you mentioned yesterday and can't find anything that floats my boat in the Northern part of the dales. Done Lakes a few times and York moors but think I'll do Lister Arms as planned and flick over to the moors to get home. One of my fav roads is the one from Castleton as well.:beerjug:

Back from Scotland and Yorks. Stayed at Lister Arms and was everything you folks said. Fantastic beer, rooms and food. Great staff too and got chatting to a lovely black cocker spaniel aged 9 called Barney. Also went in the pub a few yards away which was also very nice.

Ukgser came up trumps again,

Cheers guys :beerjug:

Glad you enjoyed the Lister Arms :beerjug: I may have to pop in for dinner and a pint of 13 Guns IPA over the weekend :D

Back
Top Bottom