Thread: UK vs HDI spec differences.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe Rugged Path's Avatar

UK vs HDI spec differences.

Still my 2010 Ultra Classic lies dormant in the garage.

Bought new in Saudi, used in the GCC then imported back to U.K. on retirement in 2016.
    Having changed the speedo and headlight to conform to U.K. requirements, I had it MOT’d and passed.
    Documentation all legit and clear enough to a simpleton except the DVLA.
    No help from local HD dealers on this issue.

The certificate of conformity for my HDI model states it “”can be permanently registered without further approvals, for driving on the right and using metric units for the speedometer””.
    Which doesn’t help the situation.
    Swansea want me to take it to a VOSA station which will cost me with getting a hire van.

What is the actual spec difference between models?

From looking at similar U.K. models, it is only the light and speedo, my muffler has the CAT fitted and that Venturi lever on the right hand exhaust.

I want to get this bike on the road.

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk
    A GOAL is an end toward which some specific effort is directed!
    Go forth and prosper!

Devil may care... Click here to find out how to Subscribe twizzle's Avatar
    Insure it on the VIN and ride it to the VOSA station on your Saudi Number Plate.

No need for a van - once approved they will issue you with a British plate - in the meantime it has an MOT and Insurance ride it on the Saudi plates.

Quote Originally Posted by twizzle View Post
    Insure it on the VIN and ride it to the VOSA station on your Saudi Number Plate.

No need for a van - once approved they will issue you with a British plate - in the meantime it has an MOT and Insurance ride it on the Saudi plates.
    Saudi customs removed the export plate at point of exit as it was air freighted.
    Otherwise, it would have been ridden home out of the crate from MAN airport.

Go forth and prosper!

Devil may care... Click here to find out how to Subscribe twizzle's Avatar
    Ahh...

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    It might have different silencers that are non eu approved, it might also have different rear light lense and indicator lenses. but for them to spot that would be picky. I know my imported yamaha jas a different silencer to a EU one. the cat is in the down pipes by the foot board.
    SLOBODA

Checked my OEM silencers on the 2010 FLHTCU and noticed the left has e4 stamped on it.
    Nowt on the right.
    Is that eu approved and for U.K. use?

The exhaust size holes are different as the bigger right hand one has a cable operated choke valve on the exhaust manifold.

And.....
    Bike only had a main/dip headlight switch and no flasher.
    Is that usual for these bikes?

Thanks,

Go forth and prosper!

I think that you will need the bike to pass an SVA inspection. Single Vehicle Approval.
    Have a look here.
    https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/...hicle-approval

You will have to transport the bike to the test centre with a van if things are as they were a few years ago when I was last time nvol ed in getting non UK bikes registered. Good luck.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe Smogbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugged Path View Post
    Still my 2010 Ultra Classic lies dormant in the garage.

Bought new in Saudi, used in the GCC then imported back to U.K. on retirement in 2016.
    Having changed the speedo and headlight to conform to U.K. requirements, I had it MOT’d and passed.
    Documentation all legit and clear enough to a simpleton except the DVLA.
    No help from local HD dealers on this issue.

The certificate of conformity for my HDI model states it “”can be permanently registered without further approvals, for driving on the right and using metric units for the speedometer””.
    Which doesn’t help the situation.
    Swansea want me to take it to a VOSA station which will cost me with getting a hire van.

What is the actual spec difference between models?

From looking at similar U.K. models, it is only the light and speedo, my muffler has the CAT fitted and that Venturi lever on the right hand exhaust.

I want to get this bike on the road.

Seems you have done everything and hopefully declared it to the customs, otherwise even after all that the DVLA will block registration, just get a trailer now and take it to the center, if the DVLA has given you a number.

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicle...k/telling-hmrc

Partial MSVA

If you have a Certificate of Conformity (CoC), it will say which side of the road and which speedometer units your vehicle is equipped for.

You must modify your vehicle if it is not equipped for use in Great Britain. It will then need a Partial MSVA to check the following items:

headlamp dipped beam pattern - this checks the headlamp is suitable for driving on the left
    speedometer - the speed must be shown in miles per hour (mph) or dual mph and kilometres per hour
    mirror location - on mopeds fitted with a single mirror, the mirror must be fitted to offside (right) of the vehicle

Read more in Partial MSVA frequently asked questions.
    Vehicle identification number

Your vehicle needs a vehicle identification number before having an MSVA inspection. Write to the following address if it does not have one.

VC15A/MASET
    DVLA
    Swansea
    SA99 1ZZ

I would check on my exhausts but I do not have the OE ones anymore. sorry !
    SLOBODA