GS Twin Cam questions

Brodie13

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Soon to be the proud owner of a 2011 Twin Cam Triple Black. Looking at the bike’s headers, I’m assuming that they are the chrome variety as they don’t look like they are going to clean up satisfactory, and are somewhat letting the bike down appearance wise. This being the case does anyone have a pair of decent standard s/s headers that are sat on a shelf somewhere that I could buy, or maybe even a decat set perhaps? Furthermore, would fitting an aftermarket pair of headers that do away with the flappy valve have a detrimental effect on the bike’s running? Lastly, am I right in thinking that the silencer is common to all the hexhead machines? Thanks :)

If you get headers from an earlier single cam, you will have to match them to a single cam end can.

Getting rid of the flappy valve eliminates one thing that will fail.

Sent from a U11

Soon to be the proud owner of a 2011 Twin Cam Triple Black. Looking at the bike’s headers, I’m assuming that they are the chrome variety as they don’t look like they are going to clean up satisfactory, and are somewhat letting the bike down appearance wise. This being the case does anyone have a pair of decent standard s/s headers that are sat on a shelf somewhere that I could buy, or maybe even a decat set perhaps? Furthermore, would fitting an aftermarket pair of headers that do away with the flappy valve have a detrimental effect on the bike’s running? Lastly, am I right in thinking that the silencer is common to all the hexhead machines? Thanks :)

Remove of the flappy shite is well detailed here (great pics as well) - get the motorworks tube, fits a treat slides in well without any force and really well made:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/352658-Exhaust-Valve-Eliminator-Tube

Good luck in your quest, my chrome '08 GSA headers look pretty bad. I've been keeping an eye out for some decat headers for years with no luck. I'll probably capitulate and buy a set of keihan headers.

My headers were bad on my TC. Took them off and used a drill and metal polish kit from Halfords. Took a couple of hours getting them back to looking brand new. With AF XIED units fitted, not only did the bike run much better but the richer mixture meant the bike ran cooler and the headers stayed looking good.

Alternatively, I would take them to a professional polisher who for about £100 will do the job for you. I have been down the decat route and would not go there again as it makes the bike MUCH noisier with more vibes. Noise is good for short bursts but not touring.

Thanks for the info, thats interesting about more noise and vibes. Maybe when I strip my bike for a gearbox and FD refresh later on this year I will just drop the exhaust and give it a polish up and save money to boot.

I don't fancy too much noise or attention from the Gendarmes/Polizei when touring, I may even fit the OE end can back on instead of my Scorpion can.

Back
Top Bottom