Hiflo oil filter

Billtdm

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My 2012 GS came with 20 litres of oil, and four oil filters. Hiflo HF164. Nice, I thought.

I assumed these were the correct ones, and when I did an oil change I tried to fit one.
The thread didn't want to pick up. I tried a couple of times, then put the original back. Straight in.
I tried again - still no luck. i didn't want to screw up the threads (!) on the bike, so I chickened out and left the original on.

As far as I can see this is the correct one.

Has anyone :hammerany experience of these? should I be more firm with it?

Is it worth it? Chance messing up the treads on your bike for a £3 filter. Did you try any of the other filters? Personally I'd sling them. Nothing against spurious filters but if there is a problem with the fitting what else could be wrong? JJH

I’ve used loads of HiFlo filters over the years, both oil and air, and never had an issue.
They actually manufacture lots of OEM labelled filters too.

But, as others have said. If in doubt and all that.
Are they in sealed boxes? Do the markings on the filters match what the box says?

Hi Flo are complete and utter schite!

I would not fit them on a pedal car

For a few quid more Use Mahle OC306 (Original Equipment filter) from any decent motor factors

The only filters to give me grief in 15 years of servicing were Hi flo

They needed severe measures to get them removed

Hi Flo are complete and utter schite!

I would not fit them on a pedal car

For a few quid more Use Mahle OC306 (Original Equipment filter) from any decent motor factors

The only filters to give me grief in 15 years of servicing were Hi flo

They needed severe measures to get them removed

Agree entirely, i won't use them, and my heart sinks when i get a bike in for servicing with one fitted.

The bodies seem to be made from baked bean tins, when removing them i've had a few just twist and distort rather than come undone..

I can't make my mind up which is worse.. a Hi-Flo or K&N oil filter

OK then...

OK guys, thanks for all your feedback.
I'll look up the Mahle OC306, hadn't heard of that one.
Cheers.

Opie oils are selling the Mahle oc306 for just under £10. They also sell the NGK MAR8B-JDS spark plugs at a good price. There is a discount code at the moment, saving £1 for every 10 spent (Pound). This more than covers postage costs!

ive just had to replace a hiflo oil filter on mine,
it had a rust scab on the lower front facing side, (probably picked up a stone chip from the front wheel), anyway, the rust must have eventually eaten through and it was leaking oil from the scab with the engine running.
genuine bmw part fitted now as i needed a replacement asap!
perhaps something to protect the filter from stone chips would be a good idea? the bash plate only protects so much.

ive just had to replace a hiflo oil filter on mine,
it had a rust scab on the lower front facing side, (probably picked up a stone chip from the front wheel), anyway, the rust must have eventually eaten through and it was leaking oil from the scab with the engine running.
genuine bmw part fitted now as i needed a replacement asap!
perhaps something to protect the filter from stone chips would be a good idea? the bash plate only protects so much.

Just fit the correct oil filter instead of adding a 'protector' and it won't be an issue.

See Steptoes post #6 above.

7e2f429b673a66ffa6076de21483f68b.jpg

Could’ve done with a bit more protection on the oil filter myself recently.... landed on a rock at the Stella Alpina and drove the bash plate fixing through the filter

Could’ve done with a bit more protection on the oil filter myself recently.... landed on a rock at the Stella Alpina and drove the bash plate fixing through the filter

What the hell kind of terrain were you riding over to do that ? The OE bashplate is more cosmetic than protective, but you must have come down pretty hard to do that.

My MANN MW75 filters cost me £6.75 each inc vat.

2add53f6ae393a370abf84577bae5666.jpg

Stoney gravel track. Overtook a guy coming downhill.... then saw the rut across the track (rut doesn’t sound right but I don’t know what you call a rut running at 90 degrees) and after launching out of the rut I saw the rock, about the same size as by my right foot in pic, which I couldn’t avoid landing on.

It was all we could do to stay on the bike... heard the valve gear getting tickety right away and the red triangle came on so switched off and coasted to a stop. Then saw the pool of oil.

Back
Top Bottom