Oxford Mondail

alpinerider

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Back in May I was on the lookout for a new summer jacket when I cam accross the Mondail at Infinity Norwich
I had watched a couple of youtubevideos, M Flyer and Nathan Milward who both gave it decent review, Warm and waterproof, Also wear Alpinestars Andes which is pretty waterproof up to a point and a Difi which isnt! So I got one
Plumped for the Green/Black version only because the green looked a nice shade of Grey ?
The JAcket is a " LAminated" construction with removable thermal liner. Fit was nice and jacket felt comfy and good quality. Collar was probally a fraction low and jacket an inch short in the body than I would have liked but nice touch with plastic adjustable collar fitment rather than some fluffy velcro. As I intended this as my summer jacket not a problem.
Was very light with the inner removed and with front vents which undo by zip / pop stud and fold back to provide two large vented areas and two large vertical vents on the back it was lovely and cool in the warmest uk days of early summer even when wearing as I do the full Forcefield back protector. Note the jacket is well armoured on shoulders/back but nothing in back. I did put one of the semi ridgid back protectors in from another jacket but as with all of them free ones I just feel that they do not offer enogh protection lower than about half way down my back and in any case the pocket for the protector is very short .
End MAy: Trip to Langudoc region in France, decided to get down in a day from Calais due to an unexpected event the day before ( 990 breakdown ) another story. Anyway light rain toward Paris and biblical thereafter. So I wasnt really sure when it was I had got soaking wet, pre or post PAris?. Nevertheles a cold and miserable ten hours or so on the bike.
Thought I would give it another chance as I dont think any jacket would have been dry in what I had idden through.
So moving on to early june, wore the jacket on trip to Pyrenees. Eight days or so of lovely weather up to high twenties and fully vented front and back the jacket was fine. Due to Pont Avon issues I had not got a sailing home so end of trip left Pamploma on long slog to Calais, In the rain !! I am not really sure whether still in Spain or over border in France but again totally soaked all down the front. Looking into it a bit more it was evident that the 1000mm of Velcro & 100mm without design to close the flap on top of the jacket was probally where the water was coming through , although front shoulders also wet. Toll tickets not working in a few machines due to getting wet in the waterproof pockets had me deciding to take back for a refund on return.
All in all the JAcket was a bit of a dissapointment and I guess at $250 it was never going to be great , shower proof no doubt, waterproof , No. Jacket is guaranteed for two years. Declined offer of replacement at Infinity and provided photographs taken in service stations of me soaking wet to send back t0 Oxford. Back to the search

It's ok folk doing a quick review on you tube or a magazine and getting a freebie or paid to do it but it's not until the product has to work in real life on a long run such as yours do the shortcomings of the product appear. No doubt you are disappointed in the product and the search for a replacement starts again.
I have been fortunate with jackets in that my old Dainese that cost £400 19 years ago lasted for 14 years before it gave up, I then bit the bullet and bought Rukka pro laminate which has been in a different league for the past 5 years, sometimes it is worth paying the extra if you are doing big miles or big trips.

I was considering buying one of these right up to reading this.....bugger. :blast
I forgot to mention nice zipper vents in the forearms helped with ventelation and keeping cool.
If you are just going to wear the jacket for shorter day rides and not country crossing I am sure it would be fine.
I brought it so as not to have to pack waterproofs when touring as I try and minimise and I hate the changing out the waterproof bin liner layer in 3 piece jackets.
As Mika says if youtube vloggers are getting one for free and pop out for an hour in light showers it will perform but in fainess I dont think any motorcycle jacket can withstand a full ten hour ride in the rain and remain dry ?
As I have waterproofs I might just resign myself to having to pack them and chose next jacket accordingly.

Although Richa Vida does give the Richa Cyclone a good review, and he Does ride in the rain !

Have a look at the Rev'it Horizon 2........it has similar chest vents (I think the Mondial might have been modelled on it) but there is a proper gutter system behind them. It is a laminated design also using Rev'it's own Hydratex membrane. It is priced between the Oxford price point and maybe some more premium Goretex products.

I saw/tried on the Mondial today.....for its price point I suppose it’s all right, but not for me. I’m now considering the Rev-It Offtrack jacket and pants.

Back
Top Bottom