Advice on viewing the Matterhorn

Status
Not open for further replies.

RikPing

Reaction score
Anyone visited the Swiss Alps and took a trip to see the Matterhorn? As I will be riding in that area, I thought I'd spend a day visiting Zermatt and the Matterhorn. However a few Google searches its a tad confusing with eye watering prices ! As Zermatt is vehicle free including motorcycles, it appears the nearest you can get on a bike is a village called Tasch then a train/taxi to Zermatt. From Zermatt further options of getting higher up to view the mountain. The best option it would seem is the Gornergrat train at well over a £100 just to go up and down for a better view!
Anyone know a cheaper/better way of viewing the Matterhorn, Anyone done this if so where to park the bike either Tasch or elsewhere etc. Any advice appreciated.

I visited the "Matterhorn" a few years ago and did exactly as you describe and yes, it is expensive but I got a blue sky day and the view from the Gornergrat restaurant was spectacular. How often would you do this?????
Same when I went up to Kleine Scheidegg to view the Eiger, again expensive but only did it once...

Nothing to do with Matterhorn but a cracking carnival with all sorts of street parades, long horns , cows, fire service and all sorts of stuff and superb firework display to end it all at night in Interlaken on 1st August.....worth a visit....

Aside from parking at Tasch, you may find it far easier to take the train from Brig or Visp - it rather depends on your itinerary & where you propose to overnight.

Start saving now though, nothing will be cheap, but the views are fantastic & to say the trip will remain memorable is a huge understatement. Best is probably the Gornergrat rack railway tour, which is around 2 hours. Alternatively, or maybe as well, there is the Klein Matterhorn Ascent where successive cable-cars take you up to almost 4000 metres - avoid though if you have vertigo or altitude issues.

Weather will always play a part, so don't waste your money if the outlook is crap. BTW, if funds are tight, some are happy just to wander around the old resort & take in the incredible view of the Matterhorn (aka Mont Cervin or the 'Killer Alp') . Maybe take a look around the old Monte Rosa Hotel & Whymper memorabilia.

have a good trip.

i have climbed on the Matterhorn!

Agree that Zermatt is hugely expensive (as is Switzerland in general).

As climbers we tend to climb from the South (Italian) side, as the prices are about 20-50% of the prices in Zermatt.

However it is well worth the visit, and a stunning, clean and beautiful place :)

Went skiing for a week there. Awesome place, great skiing and bloody expensive. Fantastic views of the mountain too.

"i have climbed on the Matterhorn!" sheesh, the things folk will do to save a few bob.....:D:D

"i have climbed on the Matterhorn!" sheesh, the things folk will do to save a few bob.....:D:D

Lol - yes... me a couple of years back:
P1000426.jpg

And in 2013, having been "stormed-off"...taking refuge in the Klein Matterhorn cablecar station one night in a storm:

9492528247_335c6733d9.jpg

Fortuately they left the doors unlocked...it was really wild (thunder, lightning, high winds) outside. Would have been rough in a tent (we had been camped under Castor a few miles away, and dropped the tent in the storm, and made for the shelter

I visited the "Matterhorn" a few years ago and did exactly as you describe and yes, it is expensive but I got a blue sky day and the view from the Gornergrat restaurant was spectacular. How often would you do this?????
Same when I went up to Kleine Scheidegg to view the Eiger, again expensive but only did it once...
Kl scheidegg is a bit pricey, but you try taking the train from there up to the Jungfraujoch! eye wateringly pricey! but worth it for the experience and views, you only live once and theres no pockets in a shroud :beer:

Nothing heard from the OP since his original enquiry and little to no traffic for a month since.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom