MOT Exempt - Historic Classic Vehicle - Question

kavb

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Its not a bike but a car, suppose the same applies.

Its now over 40 years old and just out of MOT; I think I need to register as Historic Vehicle through V112 which I do at the post office when renewing the tax.

But I do the tax online and it doesn't expire until Sep (MOT ran out yesterday). What to do, do I need to cancel the online tax and then go down to the post office and renew tax with the V112? Do I need to do this every year? Seems a bit of a pain.

Did go to the post office with the view of asking them, but the 20 deep queue put me off?

Anyone with similar experience that can advise?

Thanks

Billy

Billy , your car or bike qualifies in April of the following year its 40 yrs old eg 1978 vehicles qualify from April 2019. Take your V5 down, the post office who will tax it there and then for no cost and retain your V5 for sending to DVLA. Mine took about 5 weeks to come back.
Re the MOT depends how old your car is and wether the postie system deems it required. Ignore the mot checkers on line , my 1977 has been mot free for two year but still comes up saying its run out....which in reality it has.

To answer your last point after the first change at the PO , you can tax the car on line as normal clearly with no payment page.

Hth

Steve

Thanks for the reply Steve; I'm ok with the tax position. The car was first registered in Jan 1979 so appreciate have to wait until next April to be tax exempt.

I am unsure on the MOT position though as it DVLA states the car is exempt after 40 years. So am I able to drive it now (as the MOT expired yesterday) or do I need to get something done at the post office?

In time I will get it MOTed anyway just to ensure its safe but wondered if there is anything preventing taking it for a spin now?

Billy , your car or bike qualifies in April of the following year its 40 yrs old eg 1978 vehicles qualify from April 2019. Take your V5 down, the post office who will tax it there and then for no cost and retain your V5 for sending to DVLA. Mine took about 5 weeks to come back.
Re the MOT depends how old your car is and wether the postie system deems it required. Ignore the mot checkers on line , my 1977 has been mot free for two year but still comes up saying its run out....which in reality it has.

To answer your last point after the first change at the PO , you can tax the car on line as normal clearly with no payment page.

Hth

Steve

Like the man says
your new V5 will appear in a couple of weeks
all future taxation when the v5c is updated will be back online
I just did my honda tl 125
you need to go to the post office. .....just this once
;)

Thanks for the reply Steve; I'm ok with the tax position. The car was first registered in Jan 1979 so appreciate have to wait until next April to be tax exempt.

I am unsure on the MOT position though as it DVLA states the car is exempt after 40 years. So am I able to drive it now (as the MOT expired yesterday) or do I need to get something done at the post office?

In time I will get it MOTed anyway just to ensure its safe but wondered if there is anything preventing taking it for a spin now?

January is an odd one , it’s something like if its before the 14 th of Jan then the DVLA accepts the vehicle was built in the previous year, as it build date that determines age, but we rarely know a build date. I would mosy on down to the post office , wait in the queue and see what happens. I had my bike motd in the Oct as it fell due so when I bridged to tax and mot status I was actually in date if that makes sense.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom