Do you own an Africa Twin? Can you help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oddshapedballs

Reaction score
I fancy an Africa Twin, test rode 2017 DCT (the faster red colour) and a 2016 manual (slower tri-colour).

My question: the AT was updated in 2018 with a ride by wire throttle, additional traction control steps (3 up to 7), self cancelling indicators, revised exhaust and engine mapping and improved mid-range, so, as a road rider, the closest I get to off road is small lanes, am I likely to appreciate the differences and is the additional 2k (approx.) difference in price worth it?

I'd go for a DCT version.

Ta. :thumb

I've never ridden the 2018 revised model... but I do own the 2017 DCT model.

If I wasn't going off-road much, I'd buy the latest DCT model.

If I was going off-road regularly, I'd buy the old DCT model and spend the £2000 banked on extras... like skid plate, crash bars, barkbuster handguards, knobbly tyres, Doubletake crash mirrors, etc

I've never ridden the 2018 revised model... but I do own the 2017 DCT model.

If I wasn't going off-road much, I'd buy the latest DCT model.

If I was going off-road regularly, I'd buy the old DCT model and spend the £2000 banked on extras... like skid plate, crash bars, barkbuster handguards, knobbly tyres, Doubletake crash mirrors, etc

In your opinion, what makes the latest (revised) DCT version a better road bike than the 2017 DCT model, is the earlier DCT a bit crap? My TC GSA doesn't have any riding modes, the throttle is hard wired and I revised the exhaust myself...by ripping out the flappy valve bastard :D

In your opinion, what makes the latest (revised) DCT version a better road bike than the 2017 DCT model, is the earlier DCT a bit crap? My TC GSA doesn't have any riding modes, the throttle is hard wired and I revised the exhaust myself...by ripping out the flappy valve bastard :D

Honestly I don't know. The ONLY really annoying trait of the 2017 DCT model, is that it doesn't remember the mode settings. So every time you turn the engine or ignition off-on, you have to remember to reset your Traction Control, ABS Mode, Gravel Mode and DCT Manual.

If the new one remembers all that stuff after an engine off-on, I'd buy it for that alone :D

Ive just traded my 2017 for a new 2019 and yes its worth the difference in cost, albeit I didnt think I would be able to spot any difference the dash is nicer without doubt, the miles to empty is handy, the self cancelling indicators are good, the fueling is much better, smoother and seems to have a much stronger mid range
Ive had 2 red ones 1 tricolour and now one Silver black and white and this seems to ride the nicest

I am aware that all of mine have been manual I just dont like the DCT and the new one is an Adventure sport but thats my opinion
Rob

Oh.... and you can't turn the engine on while rolling.... which is a PITA, as you have to be stationary on the 2017 DCT

on another note the resale value, will probably be higher on the newer model although i know its more to begin with ?

Thanks chaps, some good points made, I need to find 2018> manual and DCT models and test both back to back.

Cheers.

Wait till sept when the deals start again ;)

Agreed. September is the month to buy HAT's

Up to £3500 savings off RRP

You'd be gutted to buy one now, when you only have to wait another 6 weeks

To answer your question from my point of view they ride very much the same both on and off road the additional features are a bonus but not a must if your budget conscious or see a good deal. With the DCT you cant of course feather the clutch so off road more care is definitely needed not to blip the throttle accidently [which is easily done] when going over rough ground as the only other way of speed control is the brakes which may not be ideal in some circumstances.

Fury muff, didn't consider that :thumb2

I spent the money I saved (dealer discount and 0% interest loan) on ....

- Altrider Skid Plate (extended)
- Altrider Headlight Guard
- Altrider Crash Bars (extended)
- Altrider High Brake Lever
- Altrider High Fender Kit
- Altrider large sidestand base
- HEL braided brake hoses
- Large footpegs
- Barkbuster Storm Handguards
- Double Take Mirrors
- Oxford Heated Grips
- Rugged Roads Radiator Guard
- Rugged Roads Rear Pillion Plate
- Rugged Roads Rear Brake Conversion Kit
- Kriega Fork Seal Protectors
- Kriega OS-18 and OS-6 soft luggage
- Camel ADV footpeg brace (extended)
- Screen brace and Zumo 660 Sat Nav
- Powerbronze 350mm short tinted windscreen
- Metzeller Karoo3 off-road tyres
- Garmin Virb XE cameras with hardwire fittings
- Garmin Inreach Explorer Plus SAR SOS sat-coms
- 6 days off-road Professional Training

..... I like farkle shopping .....

I bought the 2018 DCT and there are a few things missing of your revisions list. The foot hangars are steel rather than alloy, the switch gear is different and the clocks have a screen shade. The additional riding modes can be viewed as an asset or complication depending on your viewpoint and the wheels have the revised spokes. The exhaust is a marked improvement over the earlier type and I haven’t felt the need to change it. There are many subtle revisions that all add up to a considerable difference but there are some very good deals available on 17 plate models.
The loss of settings when you switch the bike off is still an annoyance but you have the option to make your own setup and it will save that. It will still default to the lowest traction control and abs and gravel setting have to be selected.

I use mine off road as well as touring.

I've also found that I tend to stick with bikes for a lot longer if I've farkled and made them personal to my taste.... so that saves me money as well :D

Not sure on the ATAS but the standard AT suspension is shite, If you want to plod along the oe suspension will do, once you get a lick on it shows its flaws.

Did you recheck its actually set up all those that came to Honda adventure from the factory last year required adjusting on both top and bottom of the forks as neither were set up?

I had my ATAS set up at Kais suspension. They can just barely get the right amount of sag with the stock spring, but stresses that it's basically undersprung. Seems like the regular AT is the same. Other than that, they had good things to say about the suspension (capable shock & forks but need setting up). For me, it transformed the bike from the soggy factory setup into a bike that now does what I ask of it.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom