Hydraulic clutch oil.

Rugged Path

The Honourable.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Do others use DOT 4 Synth brake fluid or go for more focused liquid such as what bmw sell when replacing hydraulic oil in their system?

2002 R1150

Thanks

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

DOT 4 Brake fluid. If I remember correctly the later 1200 models use hydrolic oil, if you use this in the 1150's it will damage your seals, only use DOT 4.

Wot JMH says above

It also says it on the lid of the Reservoir

By the way, regarding the "thing" on the end of the clutch bleed pipe???

Just unscrew it and use a standard brake bleed nipple in its place!

Also VERY IMPORTANT Get a torch and inspect the pipework at the slave cylinder

If it the pipe looks swollen ? I would say its time to unbolt the slave and check the pipework condition Properly!

I was doing the clutch on this one at 100K miles

IMG_20140930_121050.jpg

IMG_20140930_121011.jpg

IMG_20140930_121026.jpg

I broke down last Sunday because of brake fluid in my Clutch system. When I purchased my 09 back in Januay 2018 I got it's 48k miles service done in Ireland. The first thing the local mechanic mentioned that brake fluid was used for the clutch which is a complete no no. He drained it out and replaced it with a clear mineral oil. I only did a couple of hundred miles last year and all was well.

When I jumped on the bike last Sunday my clutch lever went soft after a 300 km spin and changing gear was no longer an option. This left me stranded 300km from home. Had to call recovery and bike was taken to Kearys BMW in Cork. They concluded that there was still a significant amount of brake fluid present. They flushed the system several times and put in the BMW spec oil. Everything has been fine since.

It shows that cutting corners or having a little knowledge means someone else will pay the price at some stage and will get stranded.

Big thank you to Kearys who had me back on the road 30 mins after the bike arrived.

I broke down last Sunday because of brake fluid in my Clutch system. When I purchased my 09 back in Januay 2018 I got it's 48k miles service done in Ireland. The first thing the local mechanic mentioned that brake fluid was used for the clutch which is a complete no no. He drained it out and replaced it with a clear mineral oil. I only did a couple of hundred miles last year and all was well.

When I jumped on the bike last Sunday my clutch lever went soft after a 300 km spin and changing gear was no longer an option. This left me stranded 300km from home. Had to call recovery and bike was taken to Kearys BMW in Cork. They concluded that there was still a significant amount of brake fluid present. They flushed the system several times and put in the BMW spec oil. Everything has been fine since.

It shows that cutting corners or having a little knowledge means someone else will pay the price at some stage and will get stranded.

Big thank you to Kearys who had me back on the road 30 mins after the bike arrived.

Your bike is a 1200, which uses hydraulic fluid, not Dot 4 brake/clutch fluid.

This is the 1100/1150 technical section and the OP has an 1150, which does use Dot4 brake/clutch fluid.

Final say from the OP.
Good to know DOT 4 is good for both serviceable functions. I have a litre of the Castrol Responce to get through.

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom