Drive shaft query

dub 24

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I got the replacement drive shaft which is from a low mileage bike for the rebuild bike today from my mate and have a quick question for the more experienced and knowledgeable than me. The UJ joint at the rear drive end has a notchy movement to it when I move it from side to side and up and down yet the gearbox end moves freely.

Is the rear drive end supposed to be stiffer than the gearbox end. The reason I am asking is because I had the exact same symptoms last week on the other low mileage drive shaft I put into my commuter bike rebuild.

I assumed it wasn't normal and used the UJ joint off my 74,000 mile rear drive as it moved freely but am now wondering if I got it arse about face ? and is the notchy feeling at the rear drive normal and I have I got two duff low mileage rear drive UJ'S

Hope this makes sense

Cheers and thanks as always for the advice and help

Dub 24

Should be a smooth movement in all directions...I think that Mikeyboy off of here can do a UJ refurbish ?

It’s shot trust me...get it reconditioned & save yourself a lot of grief later on . I sent mine to Mikeyboy for refurb

Ok cheers lads I'll have to see what my mate wants for the driveshaft and what Mikeyboy charges to overhaul the UJ to see if it is worth it.
Cheers
Dub 24

Probably around £90ish for a UJ refurb..

Ok cheers lads I'll have to see what my mate wants for the driveshaft and what Mikeyboy charges to overhaul the UJ to see if it is worth it.
Cheers
Dub 24

Definitely worth getting it done while you have the shaft out. Don't know what Mikeyboy charges for a a UJ refurb on its own as he did mine as part of a full FD refurb in 2016, but its still going strong.

Back
Top Bottom