wiring in a 2 wire switch for auxiliary lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

adventuredon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I just bought and fitted some DLR's for my 1150R. They come on when I turn the key as supposed to.

They came with a separate switch that has 2 wires and I am thinking of fitting it so I can turn them on and off independently of the switched live. Simples...but not sure where to wire it in.

My set up is that both DLR positives connect to each other and then to a positive that goes to a switched live (via inline fuse, I think).

Both negatives go together and then connect with the negative which goes to battery.

So it is basically 1 circuit. My reading leaves me to believe I need to attach the switch and maintain the circle/circuit. So do I connect the switch positive to the 2 light positives and create a further trailing tail which connects to the positive live? Surely placing switch in same bullet connector where they meet the positive would only isolate the switch.

Then the negative to the 2 negative wires at the same point as they connect to the negative wire to battery? Logic says switch must be between the 2 positive light wires and before they meet the switched live. Anyone with a very simple answer and help appreciated.....

Better to connect them to the D+ on your alternator via a relay...
A simple switching relay from Halfrauds or a.n.other. 85 - earth, 86 connect to D+ terminal, 87 - to lamps, 30 - battery positive :thumb2

They will come on when the engine runs and stop when you switch off, easy.

funny you say that. I bought a 'fuseblock' and created a loom including relay. All it needed was connecting to a switched live. When I dropped it off at the mechanic where I bought the bike from (he was going to take tank off and rectify something before i collected the bike). Upon collection he couldn't get it to work due to the LED lighting rear light or something. Anyhow, long story short he installed it the traditional way to a switched live somewhere, via relay and handed me my loom and fuse block back. All accessories wired in. My original DLR's didnt have a switch and I wasn't bothered. As it is today I realised why these come with a switch... the ebay advert did not state that the lights have 3 stages (high, low, strobe) each time I kill ignition, they auto advance so 1 in 3 starts gives me strobes. I can just kill switch and then advance it to next constant light mode. A switch will make this easier on the bike. I have figured out how to add this switch and will be trying it out this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom