MOT fail "shock absorber"

dubster

Reaction score
Hi Gents,

My 1150GS had a small weep from the RHS fork which has caused it to fail MOT last week.

The fault was labelled as "Major defect - Shock absorber has a serious fluid leak Front [5.3.2(b)]"

The fork has always had some issue with this (tried changing seal last year but problem continued] and its never really bothered me as there really isn't much oil escaping and I had understood the forks' only function was to slide rather than actually absorb shock. Last year it was noted as an advisory.

What I am wondering then is:

1. are the forks actually 'shock absorbers' given the telelever setup of the GS?
2. has the tester correctly labelled this a 'major fault' worthy of an outright fail?

Would appreciate any input from the collective :beerjug:

I am in the same boat as you come my MOT in December. MY 1150r has a very slight corrosion issue just where the seal is and after having the seal replaced recently it showed that it is indeed still leaking. Jut tried a seal buddy to see if that helps, but if not, come MOT time, I will probably need to get forks rechromed...not looking forward to that

I am in the same boat as you come my MOT in December. MY 1150r has a very slight corrosion issue just where the seal is and after having the seal replaced recently it showed that it is indeed still leaking. Jut tried a seal buddy to see if that helps, but if not, come MOT time, I will probably need to get forks rechromed...not looking forward to that

I normally just wipe a rag around the fork before inspection (leak is very small and no danger of oil on brakes) - of course this time round it slipped my mind :blast

The oil is there just for lubrication purposes, but a tester will deem it as an advisory on the first instance, so pop the dust seal and take the seal out to see if it's been put in the correct way up, check the stanchion surface contact area for dings or corrosion if ok have a good look at the actual seal itself for any nicks and if it's a genuine bmw part as aftermarket seals can vary in dimension, failing all this cotton wool under the fork dust seal pre mot bodge ��

The oil is there just for lubrication purposes, but a tester will deem it as an advisory on the first instance

With you so far, but honest question - and please excuse my lack of knowledge re the mechanics of the test - does the second instance of the same fault automatically constitute 'major' or should it be marked as a advisory as per last year?

Also unsure if the fork can actually be considered a 'shock absorber'... :nenau

Any oil leak is major as it may eventually contaminate the brakes or tyres.

Just stick some neoprene fork gaiters on. The MOT tester isn't allowed to remove them.

Not such a major deal - HCP in Mansfield are very good.

https://www.hardchromeplating.co.uk/forks-rechroming

So why only advisory last year?

Does an advisory become a major on the next test? :nenau

It’s because you’ve had a year to do something about it after being advised and haven’t bothered doing anything :D

Pop the dust seal out and put some absorbent paper in just before the test - or just fix it properly.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom