Can you still get map updates for a Zumo 550?

paul13

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have an option to purchase a Zumo 550. The main problem is the maps are 2007 at the moment.

Could I still update the maps to the latest ones? They must include Europe.

Thanks for any help

Yes, you can. You will need to download them to an SD card. There are lots of websites on which card you’ll need and how to make the map updates.

I can’t remember when lifetime maps were introduced, so you may have to pay for them. There are sites where you can download hooky copies of Garmin maps or use Open Street Maps.

Do you really need the whole of Europe?

Yes, you can. You will need to download them to an SD card. There are lots of websites on which card you’ll need and how to make the map updates.

I can’t remember when lifetime maps were introduced, so you may have to pay for them. There are sites where you can download hooky copies of Garmin maps or use Open Street Maps.

Do you really need the whole of Europe?

Thank you. Not all of Europe, mainly France.

The 550 is / was a great device, better in some ways than the current crop of devices, which have morphed into home entertainment centres.

However, they are now pretty long in the tooth. Whilst you can still update the maps, the devices are no longer actively supported by Garmin. That being said, there are plenty of DIY sites on how to make repairs.

I had a BMW version on my K1200. I know the unit well.

One was advertised locally to me for sale. As I said my concern was the extremely out of date maps.

Thank you for the really quick replies.

I use open source maps on my 550. Works fine as long as you like taking "scenic" routes.

Zumo 550 is still supported by Garmin

I did a check before i sold mine this year

Maps, voices & Camera data all available .

Although the maps are on the "How much" end of Ouch ;)

A cracking unit let down by the wrong choice of Bluetooth chip.

Had it had the right BT chip, i'd have kept mine

The updates (maps) are still supported, just as they are for the majority of Garmin devices. The physical GPS unit and its internal software updates are no longer supported. Call Garmin to say, "Hello mate, I have a problem with me 550 button", you'll be told to "Feck off", much to the ourage of some.

Back
Top Bottom