Never say "never" but is the 1250 my last proper bike?

chrisjk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After two GSAs (a 2012 TC and 2014 LC), I decided that my advancing years merited a lighter bike, so I swapped my LC for a Triumph Tiger 800. It was a nice bike and had a great engine, although after a year, I did get fed up with the turbine-like whine of the triple as the rpm climbed. However, I missed the power and torque of the GSA and, while still wanting a lighter bike, I swapped the Triumph for a Multistrada 1260S. I had test ridden a KTM 1290 S and a 1290 Duke GT as part of my research but decided the 1290S was a bit too tall for me and the GT was a bit short of touring cred for my kind of riding (long European tours preferred). The Mutley seemed to tick the boxes. I could flatfoot it, the engine was excellent, the quickshifter was superb and the seat, though not great was bearable. However, what my enthusiastic test ride had not properly alerted me to, was the heavy steering.

The Multistrada needs an excessive amount of counter-steer to get round bends in my opinion. If I relaxed pressure on the inside bar, the bike immediately stood up to run wide. I tried lots of suspension set-ups, including getting sag and pre-load set up for my weight by an Ohlins expert but nothing seemed to improve it - the effort required was tiring and caused muscle and nerve pains in my neck and shouloders. The geometry is just not right for me; I rode a friend’s Multi to check that it wasn’t just my bike but his felt identical (and he is very happy with it, so I may just be feeble). After a three-week trip with mates to Corsica and Sardinia where we rode mostly very curvy roads which although enjoyable, thoroughly knackered me, I decided to go back to a BMW. Whether it was down to me or the bike, the end result was the same, I like the way the BMW performs for me and I just could get on with the Multi.

My 1250 GS (TE Exclusive) is lighter than the GSAs I had previously (so ticks that box) and above all, the steering is perfect. In a bend, once set up, I can lift my hands off the bars briefly and the bike stays tipped-in, beautifully neutral with no effort required. A 300 mile day produces none of the soreness that 150 miles on the Multi did.

I don’t know how long I will be able to continue riding the 1250 - it is not a lightweight after all and still needs to be pushed around once off the bike, but provided it continues to run nicely, I don’t see myself hankering after another bike as long as I am physically capable of riding it.

Im of the same mindset, this new bike will be my last no matter what happens there will not be another. Im getting old a feeble to, and not in the best of health so this is my final treat to myself. Enjoy your bike as long as you can.:thumb:D

What an excellent review of the bikes and a good choice with the Exclusive enjoy.

Makes me sad to think that it would be my very last bike.... where does the time go???

Getting physically old sucks

Interesting post.. and makes me think, at what age do you start to go down hill a bit. I'm 55 and already I can not lift like I used to do... goodness knows what I'll be like in another 10 years LOL.. keep going to the Gym but it does get harder ;)

The BMW F800r looks good, unfortunately the missus loves the GS and is always asking to go out on rides, I think it is the best bike out there for two up work, so whilst the knees and back sort of work I have to drag her sorry arse around with me.
I have a B25SS waiting in the garage to tart up, She wants to go on the back of that as well, it's not the same as going out with your mates, oh well, at least she understands what bike money is.

Interesting post.. and makes me think, at what age do you start to go down hill a bit. I'm 55 and already I can not lift like I used to do... goodness knows what I'll be like in another 10 years LOL.. keep going to the Gym but it does get harder ;)

The nature of the downhill stage varies enormously among people I reckon. Just for context, I am 76 in a couple of weeks so I think you still have the potential of a good few good years yet!

The nature of the downhill stage varies enormously among people I reckon. Just for context, I am 76 in a couple of weeks so I think you still have the potential of a good few good years yet!

bloody hope so... but even at my tender years, things are not what they used to be :)

We all seem agreed on the age thing. I was going to keep my 2014lc, but spotted a 2019 rallye with 400 miles on the clock and pounced using the same rationale.

I can only say that the new bike is lovely. That increase in mid range power is fantastic and comes in just where you want it. Forget top end thrust of sports bikes. That new gs gives it you between 50 & 80 so overtaking is child’s play. I had to stump up almost 8k to upgrade, but if you offered me my money and old bike, I wouldn’t take it. I

Attachments

• 157A3350-A3EB-4DDA-96AB-86AEDFB8B674.jpeg
    157A3350-A3EB-4DDA-96AB-86AEDFB8B674.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 813
  • 342C1A66-1611-471E-A2D8-D907A93543AF.jpeg
    342C1A66-1611-471E-A2D8-D907A93543AF.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 830
Every time I see the HP in it pops...

Attachments

• 053990C6-07C8-4097-A134-8EC9FF389C29.jpeg
    053990C6-07C8-4097-A134-8EC9FF389C29.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 799
If I had to have an R1250 right now.... I'd go for the Evel Knievel edition GSA with billet pack and all the extras.

May as well be a complete tart if you're gonna be a tart.

You should be able to keep riding long after a GS becomes too intimidating. Plenty of fun to be had on the tiddlers. You just have to plan your routes accordingly.

A fellow club-member, 78 this year, was still riding like he stole it at the weekend on his S1000XR.

We've got an 84 year old in out TRF group who still trail rides. He struggles to stand up through some sections now, due to arthritis in his knees, but he gets through most stuff. We do hold our breath if he falls off:eek:, which he does occasionally, but each time so far he's got back up unscathed! He's gone for the lightest trail bike he can find and has modified foot peg position etc. to make it comfortable.

So it just shows what you can do with a bit of health, fitness, determination and ingenuity! :beerjug:

The problem for me seems as the years get on, and we get on in years, touring type and adv type bikes seem to have become increasingly larger and increasingly taller. For bikes that for a vast majority of us will never be taken off road, 910mm seat heights make no sense unless you're very tall. My GSA is set to the low position and I can just about manage it at that but a test ride on a new 1260 multistrada enduro put me off that bike for life. I agree about it needing more than the GS in opposite lock (it wasn't as neutral) and even though on paper it isn't any taller than the GSA, the stiff suspension and lack of sag made you feel like you were riding a tower block. Not an enjoyable experience as you hoped there's be no adverse cambers as you came to a standstill. There's bikes more suited to shorties and those who don;t cope as well with the mass due to age or injuries or both. Not everyone wants to ride sports bikes or small capacity machines though. Thankfully there's a lot of choice out there but for me, of the large capacity machines, BMW feels the lightest and most manageable by far due to the low CoG. I can see mine becoming my last bike, but that depends a lot on how reliable it stays.

Back
Top Bottom