Side Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

transalper44

Reaction score
Have a 2012 GS TC, The side stand has kink (normal for that year) which make the bike lean quite abit so have to be carefull the road doesn't fall away too much when deploying it, as the weight specially fully loaded with panniers, means a devil of a job to right. My question is, the later Gs's have a straighter stand ( meaning the bike sit more upright) so was wondering if one of those would fit the 2012 model ie straight swap?

I don't know, sorry. I cut a few piece of aluminium (about 30mm thick) the same shape as the foot of the side stand and bolted it to the foot to raise lessen the lean angle. With hindsight I sould have made it larger in diameter to help on soft ground. Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I've got a twin cam and the lean on the bike is unnerving, especially if there's a camber where you park.

I bought a side stand extender foot from a forum member who made them, I think it was Garry H. That raised the foot about 20mm which makes a difference.

I've had the bike from new and i don't remember being concerned when i bought it so maybe the stand gradually bends or wears at the pivot.

If you make the foot too big it will foul the guard on the exhaust and if you make it too heavy the sidestand will bounce(on rough roads) causing the bike to cut out momentarily.

Nippy Normans do a range, but remember you want an extender, rather than one that will just increase the footprint. :thumb2

Thanks guys, I did try a camel toe from a member on here but though it raised it alittle, I found it's footprint too smooth / slippery. At present it has footprint enlarger fitted. Thought by changing the sidestand using the LC one and if it would fit without to much difficulty, that would be a problem sorted.

Got mine from new and the stand has always been the shape it is. Think I'll visit the BMW dealer and raise the question.

Fit a used Hockey puck to the side stand. Drill two small holes in the foot then attach with self tapping screws through the stand into the puck. Perfect size, non slip and £3 ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom