1290 super adv Why?

Flip

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
About to pull the plug on a new 1290s and I was wondering how come so many for sale after only a few months and with low low miles?? already owned a 1190 so I know what they're like, are folks not getting on with them or are there problems?? Some good deals around on new models so used bikes have to be super cheap for someone to drop a big dollop down on one!
cheers Flip.

This maybe heresy but it could well be that they are a more fickle edgier bike than the GS with more power than is really useable and faster than is necessary in the real world

A more rewarding bike in the round but probably takes greater input to get the best and ultimate reward

Some folks must be losing a mint after only a few months ownership.

No idea, I find mine as comfortable as a GS, as easy to ride slowly and potter about, but more exciting when you want / need it to be, the engine beats the 1200 GS from tick-over upwards and annihilates it through the mid range and top end.

The GS is slightly smoother, is more comfy for a pillion, has a shaft drive and longer warranty so I can see some advantages, but for a solo rider who is happy to oil a change occasionally I cannot see why they would sell them so quickly?

I still have my 1190 and find the 1290 is smoother and more civilised and better two up (a lot less dive / squat - not as little as telelever, but a lot less than the 1190) it also has cruise control (by far the best improvement IMO) and the TFT screen is nice - I am not a fan of Semi-Active Suspension and Keyless ignitions as IMO they offer little advantage for a lot of extra cost, complexity and more expensive shit to go wrong.

If you liked the 1190 you should like the 1290 at least as much, probably more.

reason i sold mine (6 month old) was because a car hit me and i wasnt fully happy with the repair. They crash well though, i can tell you that :)

Customer service is generally piss poor from ktm which is probably the main reason people are not getting on with them as the bikes themselves are fantastic.
TFT screens have issues of misting up or going blank and keyless ride has its problems also.

This maybe heresy but it could well be that they are a more fickle edgier bike than the GS with more power than is really useable and faster than is necessary in the real world

A more rewarding bike in the round but probably takes greater input to get the best and ultimate reward

A recent trip to Spain 2-Up says you're very wrong on all counts. :blast

When I had my 1190 I took a 1290 SAS out for a two hour test ride and didn’t think it was worth the cost to change. A few months later I grabbed a bargain with a heavily discounted SDGT and once it’s 2 years old I’ll check out the cost to change to a 1290 SAS but if it’s more than £5k I’ll not be bothering.

That’ll be against an older model but still a brand new bike, I’m pretty sure there’ll be bargains to be had close to Xmas :D

Wrong! Very wrong.

May be down to individuals, but on a recent trip I was with a GS that had a pillion for the weekend (first trip) and they swapped from the GS to the KTM and did not last long before they wanted the comfort of the GS again (and I had Ergo seats)

My Mrs also reckons my old 2008 GS was the best for comfort of all my bikes (although it did have some Tony Archer Seats) and her complaint of other bikes since that (Super Tenere / KTM 1190 / KTM 1290) is the pillion seat is too cramped - and I would agree as I find we are a bit squashed up on the KTM in comparison.

YMMV

A couple of weeks ago there was another one being traded in against a GS at a local dealer - I was chatting with the owner’s friend, who I know - he said that his mate couldn’t get on with the the wobble and weave at speed - seems like there are a lot of open questions about the stability, particularly when loaded up???????

Perhaps this is why there are so many coming up for sale?

May be down to individuals, but on a recent trip I was with a GS that had a pillion for the weekend (first trip) and they swapped from the GS to the KTM and did not last long before they wanted the comfort of the GS again (and I had Ergo seats)

My Mrs also reckons my old 2008 GS was the best for comfort of all my bikes (although it did have some Tony Archer Seats) and her complaint of other bikes since that (Super Tenere / KTM 1190 / KTM 1290) is the pillion seat is too cramped - and I would agree as I find we are a bit squashed up on the KTM in comparison.

YMMV

Yeah, ditto.

The Lovely Amanda says the same about my old 1200GS V my 1190R. She's perfectly happy on the KTM but reckons the GS the most comfy bike we've had together.

A couple of weeks ago there was another one being traded in against a GS at a local dealer - I was chatting with the owner’s friend, who I know - he said that his mate couldn’t get on with the the wobble and weave at speed - seems like there are a lot of open questions about the stability, particularly when loaded up???????

Perhaps this is why there are so many coming up for sale?

God your tedious.

Andres

Yeah, ditto.

The Lovely Amanda says the same about my old 1200GS V my 1190R. She's perfectly happy on the KTM but reckons the GS the most comfy bike we've had together.

God your tedious.

Andres

It’s not tedious, if it helps someone from making an expensive error.

Back
Top Bottom