Advice first time in Portugal.

Me and the missus are on the same ferry I think. Departs Plymouth on 8th September and gets in at 4pm on Monday. We've stayed along the north of the Picos several times and have one stopover before getting to Chaves for a couple of days. As we will have spent over 20 hours on a ferry we'll be itching to get on the road and crack some miles out.

Have chosen a place just outside Leon, although Google says it's 4 hours ride we won't be stopping much on the way there, and you'll struggle to get food in Spain much before 8pm anyways. Then less miles as it gets hotter towards and into Portugal.

Have done the roads through Potes, Riano etc loads of times and was thinking whether to Autopista south and then west to Leon.

Anyone done the A67 south from Torrelavega? My Michelin map has a green scenery line alongside it....

Leon: try to get a hotel either in or near to the historic centre. There are some fantastic tapas bars to grab food and drink at.

A57: we were forced to use the A57 from Torrelevega south to Reinosa last year when the Hermida Gorge down to Potes was closed for bridgeworks. It is a fantastic motorway. Very little traffic and , like most motorwys in northen Spain, it winds through some fantastic countryside. And being an Autovias (A) rather than an Autopista (AP), it is toll free. I would definitely use it if looking to head quickly south/west

Yeah, I was hoping you'd say that! The Autopista across the North of the Picos is okay but was pretty busy the last time I used it.

The hotel knows we'll be pretty late arriving but the revised ETA of the ferry is 4pm and also an earlier departure from Plymouth, so hoping to get out of Santander by 5ish.

We're well used to eating late and the hotel we've booked is close to several restaurants. If shit happens and we dock really late we'll eat en route and just crash out when we get there.

I really appreciate the replies chaps.

Doh! Put the route into Google and it said 4 hours. Then I noticed that I had avoiding tolls AND motorways! Turned that avoidance off and it's just over 2 and a half hours.... Much more doable and we'll have time for a few coffee stops on the way down.

The roads in Portugal are even better and quieter than in Spain so the OP will have no problem finding good roads. The Duoro valley is beautiful. Midday Menu del Dia is under 10 euros for 3 courses and wine, which is the main reason we start early and stop riding at lunchtime!

The free route suggestions on the Ride website are an excellent base for planning routes. I use that, a large scale map of Portugal and Spain plus Booking.com to plan the day's route.

We stayed at Hotel Josein in Comillas last week before our return to Bilbao the next day, it is very close to Santander. The hotel is slap bang on the beach and it's a fantastic little place. All rooms have a sea view, the breakfast is good and we had a great dinner there too. I'll definately use the place again.

I was on the ferry last Sunday the 14th. A lot of bikes on board, but there will be in early September. Cleared the Port about 1730. There were a lot behind me. One officer checking all the motorbikes. He pulled someone on a Harley for unpaid speeding fines.

The Spanish rarely eat before 10pm,and hotel restaurants often don’t open until 9pm, so you are unlikely to starve.

Hotel del Oso is a gem.

Back
Top Bottom