Advice first time in Portugal.

CC Mac

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello, I am heading to Portugal in September from Santander. The ferry arrives at 4 in the afternoon. What would be a reasonable distance to achieve without it getting too late and does anyone have any suggestions for a first night stop? On the way back we are staying a couple of nights in Potes in the Picos so we would like to see somewhere else and not double up. The second day gives us a full days riding but we do want to see a few places as it's not just about roads. Any routes and recommendations would be appreciated. I have read some of the Portugal threads.

We often use the Parador at Cangas de Onis as a first night. This isn't too far from the port, so allows for the possibility that BF ferries could arrive late. Try the cider bars in town if you have the time.

Obviously next day there are many options. We like to take the run up to Riano if the weather is good, then down to Leon; a fabulous city if you have the time for a stop-over. Otherwise skirt around & drop into Portugal via Puebla de Sanabria & Braganca

We have stayed in Sahagun, it is about 130 miles from Santander, you can chose to motorway it all so you should be there in a couple of hours or take a little more time by using the scenic route.

We often use the Parador at Cangas de Onis as a first night. This isn't too far from the port, so allows for the possibility that BF ferries could arrive late. Try the cider bars in town if you have the time.

Obviously next day there are many options. We like to take the run up to Riano if the weather is good, then down to Leon; a fabulous city if you have the time for a stop-over. Otherwise skirt around & drop into Portugal via Puebla de Sanabria & Braganca

I am a big fan of the ciders of Northern Spain.

Really appreciate the quick response.

I arrived on the same ferry last year and headed for Las Arenas and stayed here https://goo.gl/maps/waXzR27Zv6gjTj2i8 - even the motorway along the coast is scenic, before you cut inland.

Cangas would be okay and Leon is under 3 hours away by motorway - as stated above, lovely place to stopover.

All depends on your priority - see scenery or cover as many km as possible.

Bear in mind in can take up to 30mins to an hour to get off the boat and clear customs.

Why not use google maps and create a route about 90 mins along the coast towards Portugal?

What date do you arrive in Spain?

Go to the Picos!

Lots of guys on this site have used this hotel, it's on your way down, a couple of hours ride on interesting roads. Fantastic hotel, amazing food and huge amounts of it. Not the cheapest place but absolutely worth it. And you get to play in the Picos to boot!

http://hoteldeloso.es/en/home/

Lots of guys on this site have used this hotel, it's on your way down, a couple of hours ride on interesting roads. Fantastic hotel, amazing food and huge amounts of it. Not the cheapest place but absolutely worth it. And you get to play in the Picos to boot!

http://hoteldeloso.es/en/home/

We’re staying there for 2 nights next week. Can’t wait. :JB

We are arriving on the 8th of September.

We did the same ferry in early June, but it took ages to get off the boat at Santander. Fortunately we had booked a lovely hotel on the coast about an hour away, in Pechon. The only other people staying in the hotel was the actor Andy Serkis and his wife!
The next day we went through the nearby Picos and into Braganca, Portugal. It was a memorable ride on virtually empty roads. So be wary of delays at Santander and book something not too far away.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Don't be afraid of a bearded dwarf chunnering on about your bike.

It'll only be Att.

Give him a stroke behind the ears and he'll go away. :D

Don't be afraid of a bearded dwarf chunnering on about your bike.

It'll only be Att.

Give him a stroke behind the ears and he'll go away. :D
He ain't that small..
c65e2d184b44863915f1d98da2bc7b1f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Booked first night at Hotel del Oso for our trip in September, Mr Craig has the rest of the route at planning stage but will be heading down towards Porto via Riano etc, lovely area.

Have a look at Ribedesella

It is an hour away from Santander by motorway or a good couple of hours the scenic route

It is a lovely little spanish coastal town

Pueblo de sanabria and then down the Douro valley is a must ride

Similar to Redrick's post, I can recommend the Hotel Azul de Galimar in San Vicente de la Barquera. I've stayed several times. An excellent hotel with a short (and welcome for me) leg stretch into the town for dinner. Again on the coast and a short run so you'll not be under a great deal of time pressure getting from the ferry. That will give you a decent evening and little stress on Day 1. Multiple ways to head over to Portugal and somewhere like Chaves would be a good stop. You mention not doubling up on the Picos, it can be avoided but different ways can be taken and there's a lot of good roads to do :thumb
Would also echo Salamanca as a very good place to visit and stop over.

Me and the missus are on the same ferry I think. Departs Plymouth on 8th September and gets in at 4pm on Monday. We've stayed along the north of the Picos several times and have one stopover before getting to Chaves for a couple of days. As we will have spent over 20 hours on a ferry we'll be itching to get on the road and crack some miles out.

Have chosen a place just outside Leon, although Google says it's 4 hours ride we won't be stopping much on the way there, and you'll struggle to get food in Spain much before 8pm anyways. Then less miles as it gets hotter towards and into Portugal.

Have done the roads through Potes, Riano etc loads of times and was thinking whether to Autopista south and then west to Leon.

Anyone done the A67 south from Torrelavega? My Michelin map has a green scenery line alongside it....

I think you may be a bit optimistic about your timings Ming? I hope you are booked for a late arrival - BF have been having a few 'issues' of late.

The A67 is a pleasant enough ride south through to Aguilar de Campoo. Then it gets a tad boring, including the schlepp across to Leon on the A231

Back
Top Bottom