Brake Pads for ‘17 GSA LC....sintered or ceramic??

Nick G

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi guys. Having just recovered from hearing the price of OEM pads for my ‘17 GSA LC. I’ve been looking at Motorworks options.
Thinking of going Brembo for a change (usually buy EBC) Any views on sintered or ceramic?

I put sintered front and rear on my hexhead, they are def better than OEM and seem to be lasting well.

I'm sure the OEM pads are sintered. EBC in mine and at 29K miles the disks still have 50% of their allowed wear to go. Perhaps I don't brake enough?:D

I used Ceramic in my last RS, work just as well as OEM but wear down slower and reduce disc wear.my next set on my GS will be Ceramic.

Ged

Motorworks does OEM brembo pads, which are sintered - about £34 a pair for front and £28 for rear. So roughly half what a dealer will charge and they take 15 minutes to fit (and you can give the callipers a clean at the same time :thumb)

Frem Ceramic Carbon pads on the rears on mine (that's all the bike shop had when I went to get some). Finer compound than standard sintered so lower disc wear. £29 and feel better than the OEM ones they replaced. Found out later I could have bought them on line for £11!

I just ordered front and rear replacements for mine from Carpimoto.it €84.71 (£76.50) all in!

07BB0390 - Brake Pads Brembo 07BB0390 Genuine Parts Sintered Street (1 couple for 1 disk) x1 € 23,71
07BB38SA - Brake Pads Brembo 07BB38SA Sintered Street (1 couple for 1 disk) x2 € 38,72
XPRS - Shipping & Handling 1 € 7,00
Total invoice amount € 84,71

OEM BMW rear (all they had) and Brembo Sintered fronts.

I just ordered front and rear replacements for mine from Carpimoto.it €84.71 (£76.50) all in!

07BB0390 - Brake Pads Brembo 07BB0390 Genuine Parts Sintered Street (1 couple for 1 disk) x1 € 23,71
07BB38SA - Brake Pads Brembo 07BB38SA Sintered Street (1 couple for 1 disk) x2 € 38,72
XPRS - Shipping & Handling 1 € 7,00
Total invoice amount € 84,71

OEM BMW rear (all they had) and Brembo Sintered fronts.

Good tip thanks. I ended up ordering the pads from Motorworks for a bit more as I needed the pads quickly. I'll definitely keep a note of the Italian lot though.

Was just about to order some new rear pads for my 17 plate 1200GS and had forgotten the vast choice available from motorworks! Head now spinning, thought I'd consult an old thread for advice and found this one.

Thing is, my bike's only done around 6.5k miles and the rears are down to the backplate. Guess the previous owner was keen on the brake pedal...or maybe the linked system gets over-zealous with rear brake bias. The Nav 5 machine stats seem to backup this theory :p

Whatever, I was just wondering if anyone can recommend the ceramic option over sintered? Are there real benefits for road use or are they an expensive option for no real gain? And if I choose ceramic for the rears, should I also replace fronts at the same time? Front pads have got a fair bit of wear left, but I could do with giving the calipers a good clean so may as well slap new pads in there at the same time if ceramics are worthwhile.

Or do I just stick with red sintered, which always served me well on the RT but did seem to eat discs at an alarming rate :blast

Any advice gratefully received, thank thee!

ps loved Steptoe's advice on post #10 here:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/507318-Rear-brake-pads-query?p=5376496&viewfull=1#post5376496http://

It's this sort of trick that makes ukgser so valuable! :D

Back
Top Bottom