Do I really need the OBC

We Make Life A Ride

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just discovered the 09 plate 650 I'm collecting at end of the month at a cost of 3k with 20,000 miles on the clock and 12 months mot does not have the onboard computer installed.

My immediate thoughts are I'd love to have the gear indicator just because and as I'll be doing a long commute the fuel gauge and mpg would also be very handy.

Anyone got any thoughts on this, should I go ahead with the purchase or hold out for something else? Bike is otherwise in excellent condition.

The OBC is nice to have but is not essential. I always reset a trip to zero when getting gas anyway so the low fuel light is simply a back up.
The bike you are collecting is a steal at that price, mileage condition. If it was me I wouldn’t have any second thoughts, the 650 will be ideal for what you want it for.

Just discovered the 09 plate 650 I'm collecting at end of the month at a cost of 3k with 20,000 miles on the clock and 12 months mot does not have the onboard computer installed.

My immediate thoughts are I'd love to have the gear indicator just because and as I'll be doing a long commute the fuel gauge and mpg would also be very handy.

Anyone got any thoughts on this, should I go ahead with the purchase or hold out for something else? Bike is otherwise in excellent condition.

I've never had one - 08 plate 800GS. Only 23000 miles now and can't say I've missed an OBC. I fill up every 100 miles so I've never even seen the low fuel light come on over the last 11 years !

I love the OBC. Never had gear indicator before, it's very useful. Also like the mpg info.

I like the gear indicator, don't really use the rest of it.

I just reset the odo after fuelling & fill up after every commute (120 miles) or around 200 miles if travelling. Fuel gauge is OK for quick reference, but I never rely solely on it....

D

Back
Top Bottom