Nav VI SD Card ?

Yes as IIRC the internal memory is very very limited

As for what card dont go above 32GB as they often dont like it ( this may have been fixed by now) but TBH 16GB is way plenty Scandisc usually best

Yebbut, it's a micro SD card, or is in the V...

I only only mention this, as I bought a 64Gb card recently and was surprised it was full size only; not a tiddly one plus adaptor.

Sorry for the high-jack but can you put music on these cards to play on your headphones or are they just for added maps, tracks and routes?

There’s been a few threads on Nav Cards, run through the search link to find good info.

The Nav v1 takes a 32Gb micro SD, it must be formatted to fat32 to work. I use my nav card for music only, the tracks must be in MP3 format. So you can’t load on your iTunes unless you have formatted them, which is quite simple to do.The main memory inside the Nav will hold all the latest world maps from Garmin, but if you are only riding in UK or Europe, do you really need Australia’s mapping or the USA? Not loading them will save Space. However.....the Europe mapping is split into North and South, so make sure you upload both of these if you are going into Europe. Half of France is in the northern maps and the Other in the Southern.

Depending how fast your internet connection is, but for most uf us, downloading the maps update to a computer does not take too long.
The slow part is loading the maps from the computer to the GPS.
Personally I have started to upload the maps to the computer only.
Then I use Basecamp to upload the required maps only to the GPS. Since most of my driving is domestic, I usually load the domestic maps only to the GPS. This takes a few minutes only. Whenever I plan to cross the border I also load relevant maps.
This makes the 4 times a year update a fairly short time session.

So is it really necessary for an SD card to be mounted in the NavVI and if so any recommendations on card ?

No, the memory on the VI is large enough for maps without and SD card. I do have a card in mine, but all that is on it, is music and I fitted a card to ensure the card reader worked.

Sorry for the high-jack but can you put music on these cards to play on your headphones or are they just for added maps, tracks and routes?

Yes you can... But only .MP3 format. When on the Nav V, sometimes the album artwork will appear, sometimes not. Sometimes the tracks seem to "judder & skip" for the first 2-10 minutes, sometimes not. There appears no rhyme nor reason to it. I contacted Garmin and they're aware but answered "it is what it is" (not really the answer you want on a £500 bit of kit!) With the Nav VI, I decided to not run with music on the Micro SD but to use my phone. The juddering still sometimes happens if you're streaming from your phone through the whole TFT/NAV/Phone setup though. Sometimes it just doesn't give sound even though it's all linked correctly and worked a little earlier (I've had it not work from home to a point where I've stopped and powered it all down, then 2 minutes later started it all up again and it work faultlessly... another stop for something and I'll get a couple of minutes of judder...
Having Garmin Smartlink running in the background on the phone helps but doesn't eliminate the issues
It used to infuriate me, but as long as I remember that I have the sweet music of Akra playing in the background, I can remain in that "good place"

I find that perhaps the most annoying feature that it doesn't allow is changing of volume via "wonder-wheel". That always has to be done through headset (for Nav/TFT) or headset and/or phone volume controls for iPhone.

I run the "Sena 20S evo"... And here's a question for others with TFT/NAV VI/Sena/iPhone... Is there a button on the headset that activates Siri or do you HAVE to hit the iPhone Siri button to get it?

I run the "Sena 20S evo"... And here's a question for others with TFT/NAV VI/Sena/iPhone... Is there a button on the headset that activates Siri or do you HAVE to hit the iPhone Siri button to get it?

if your phone is linked to the headset i was under the impression you just speak SIRI into your mic and it answers ?

Back
Top Bottom