Improving Autocom SPA system

retroman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I had an Autocom SPA installed on my R1150GS about five years ago so that I could communicate with my daughter riding pillion whilst on a European tour.

Whilst it worked prefectly I never really liked all the plugging/unplugging of cables and I find the headset uncomfortable, so the system fell into disuse and (until recently) I'd forgotten that it was there.

Recently I thought it may be useful for music, so I've had a go at reinstalling the head set in my Shoei flip-front lid. It's a bit more comfortable than I remember asnd as I seldom carry a pillion I've dispensed with the microphone and noise cancelling thingymejig.

The problem is, muisc from my old school ipod connected via cable has terrible sound quailty - all treble, no base and I can't increase the volume, once over 30mph I can't hear the music.

Is there anyway of improving this system - or should I scrap it and start again with a Bluetooth system via my iphone??

Many thanks in advance.

Dave 'retro'

try sound through a different device first as a starting point, say your phone just to see if quality changes? I had an autocom and was pretty reliable. Yes I also hated the cables, but it worked.
Now I have a new helmet with bluetooth in it. Wow, what a difference. All sounds more crisp and clear. Volume can be adjusted on the BT set, or by using the navigation device to turn down separate channels (music, navigation, phone etc) Its got the radio installed as well which is great to get the cricket etc while riding. Nice thing is that the sat nag recognises the radio and displays the channel, so you can skip up or down to preset channels stored in the headset. Might be time for a change. I won't go back to autocom now, as too much £ invested in the headset. Good luck

try sound through a different device first as a starting point, say your phone just to see if quality changes? I had an autocom and was pretty reliable. Yes I also hated the cables, but it worked.
Now I have a new helmet with bluetooth in it. Wow, what a difference. All sounds more crisp and clear. Volume can be adjusted on the BT set, or by using the navigation device to turn down separate channels (music, navigation, phone etc) Its got the radio installed as well which is great to get the cricket etc while riding. Nice thing is that the sat nag recognises the radio and displays the channel, so you can skip up or down to preset channels stored in the headset. Might be time for a change. I won't go back to autocom now, as too much £ invested in the headset. Good luck

Don, I have tried with my iphone too and its just as bad. My daugther now rides pillion with her boyfriend and they use a Sena BT system, having spoken to him and noted your comments I think I might as well get a Sena BT headset and ditch the Autocom. Thanks for the observations, very helpful :)

what model spa kit have you.

Hi Lee, I can't see a model number but in the manual it's the bells-and-whistles Super Pro Automatic system (5 auxiliary outputs), which was top of the range when I bought it in 2015.

I thought the "noise cancelling thingymejig" (ambient noise sensor) was fitted to increase the autocom volume automatically in relation to the background noise. If you have removed it, it wont work properly.

My SPA works really well and streams music via my 590 which I can also link to the phone or the bikes FM/ AM radio. Only used an MP3 player once, but its so much easier managing music through the satnav.

I thought the "noise cancelling thingymejig" (ambient noise sensor) was fitted to increase the autocom volume automatically in relation to the background noise. If you have removed it, it wont work properly.

Thanks Baz. After reading-up on this I've reinstalled everything. I'll need the 'mike if I wish to use the phone anyway :blast and you are quite correct, the system won't work without the ANS!!! :blast:blast:blast

Anyway, I've spent some time repositioning the speakers and music now seems much better off my iPhone (as opposed to my old iPod, which remains unusable).

With this in mind I've taken the plunge and ordered the Bluetooth BTM-02-A add-on; in for a penny, in for a pound as they say.

Ok, the Autocom Bluetooth module has been and gone, sent back for a refund. £75 for £5 worth of componets, not waterproof, obselete technology:eek:. I give up ... Sena seems to be the way ahead, my SPA will be on here or GumBay soon.

Back
Top Bottom