Whine from rear wheel that changes with lean

Nick591

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi my 1999 1100GS 45K miles has had for some time a whine from the rear wheel area which gets louder with road speed. It is not deafening but the strange thing is that it gets louder when the bike is leaning around corners. When ride straight ahead it is not bad at all. More recently I have noticed it is louder when leaning round left handers than right handers.
There is no discernable side to side play in the rear wheel vertically or horizontally. I have not yet checked for swarf in the oil
I suspect bearings of course but do these symptoms point to more than the big ball bearing?
Thanks, Nick

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rear tyre??????? I've imagined all sorts of terminal failures to the rear end when I've heard noises at the back that worsen when leaned over only to discover the tyre is cupped/worn

Similar to this^^^^^. Do have tyres with a heavy tread pattern?
What I'm thinking.... when you lean the bike over, the heavier pattern could cause an increase in noise.
That's providing the tyre centres are smoothing off and causing minimal noise. Hope this makes sense.

Just a thought, happy to be proved wrong.

Yes I have thought it might be the tyre. Its an Anakee 3 that is quite squared off. I have a spare one and I am going to take the wheel off and get it changed over. I hope it is that!

My 1100 doesnt whine but does "rumble" a little when leaned right over round bends, I thought for ages the bearings were on the way out, no detectable play at all though. Coincidentally, the seal did go a few weeks ago. I rebuilt the FD with new bearings. The "rumble" is still there, and im now sure it is and always was due to the sides of the chunky mitas e07 tyres being less worn than the centre.

Definitely a worn cupped tyre IMHO, as others have suggested.

Must be well past it's prime if you can hear the rear tyre though; I've noticed the front tyre on my Super10 is starting to 'sing' a bit in the bends, but seems to have plenty of tread left, so I shall soldier on for now.

I've noticed the front tyre on my Super10 is starting to 'sing' a bit in the bends, but seems to have plenty of tread left, so I shall soldier on for now.

Heidenau are great for a bit of singing too Squib. A bit disconcerting at first but once you get used to it then not a bother. :thumb2

Update having changed the rear tyre today for a nearly new Anakee 3 with no squaring off.
The whine has completely gone whichever lean angle direction or speed! I am really surprised but relieved.
Need to ride more roads with corners!
Thanks to all for your input.
Just need to 'worry' about gearbox noises now! Lol.

Back
Top Bottom