1100gs forks

finn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Need to consider upgrading my forks anyone done it or what fits mainly for off road
Tia

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Is it not the damper that does most of the work?

Got a new spring on but am finding the limits

Happy to be corrected but I don’t think the forks do much in the way of affecting the ability of the suspension. Maybe a rebuild on the damper would yield better results or an aftermarket job, such as the Wilbers that were advertised on here, sadly I think they were for a GSA.

Need to consider upgrading my forks anyone done it or what fits mainly for off road
Tia

Do you know how the front suspension/steering on an 1100/1150/1200 actually works ? Go have a close look.

All the forks do on an 1100/1150 is attach the handlebars to the front wheel. Hence why there are no fork "upgrades".

If you fitted forks that operated in the same manner as a "normal" bike they'd be fighting against the bmw front shock.

There are bikes with the front telelever removed and upside down forks fitted but that requires an entirely new front subframe especially made, and believe me, i've ridden one, it's not an improvement on the bmw setup, it's a backward step. .

Yep had a good look about over the weekend and upgrading the springs and front shock is the way to go

There are bikes with the front telelever removed and upside down forks fitted but that requires an entirely new front subframe especially made, and believe me, i've ridden one, it's not an improvement on the bmw setup, it's a backward step. .

Here's the subframe required if you want to get rid of the telever and use conventional fork.

Attachments

• frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 165
  • frame 2.jpg
    frame 2.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 179
  • frame 3.jpg
    frame 3.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 155
Cheers will try upgrading the springy front shock before I go that far have to remember the bike and riders capability

Back
Top Bottom