Replacement Engines - why?

Because I made a big hole in it, any inference of over revving was never substantiated.

Not as bad as the S1000r on its 3rd replacement engine. Obviously a bad batch !

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

was trying to find that picture earlier of the skip full of engines... they do have failures thats for sure... not idea if you get past 20K it will last or issues can happen any time?... my last LC on a 15 plate with 17K on it went in PX as the box was feeling rough as hell....

was trying to find that picture earlier of the skip full of engines... they do have failures thats for sure... not idea if you get past 20K it will last or issues can happen any time?... my last LC on a 15 plate with 17K on it went in PX as the box was feeling rough as hell....

Ditto, '14 with 18K.

Maybe we should have a register of all bikes P/X to dealers with known faults so prospective buyers can ensure is picked up at time of purchase?

i had a k1600 took it in for a service advised the clutch was noisy but worked they had a look and told me the clutch was fine but gearbox goosed so got a new gear box .2 weeks later i noticed some smoke behind me on the motorway looked down it was me so i pulled over and smoke coming from both exhausts .called dealer they picked me up and gave me a loaner .they called next day to advise BMW have asked them to strip the engine .2 days later they called to advise all the piston rings had split a known problem due to faulty batch of rings in the factory but unsure which engines they went in .Service manage called next day saying that bmw want to replace with a short engine but will be 3 weeks but he told them not good enough and asked for a full engine and gearbox replacement within the week . 6 days later picked up the bike with no further issues i ran it in properly but p/x it a year later for another bmw bike but it ran great someone got a great bike out there

Because I made a big hole in it, any inference of over revving was never substantiated.

Not as bad as the S1000r on its 3rd replacement engine. Obviously a bad batch !

What let go?

Me and an oppo locally have had engines replaced recently with what appears to be (and sounded like) big end failures. Euro 4 2017 bikes. His was around 20K miles, mine 29K.

Are these things made of cheese these days? what happened to quality German engineering... looks like its gone to the dogs!!

What let go?

Me and an oppo locally have had engines replaced recently with what appears to be (and sounded like) big end failures. Euro 4 2017 bikes. His was around 20K miles, mine 29K.
Valves/pistons: due to camchain tensioner failure (in my opinion) and then bottom end (I think oil pump was first failure and everything followed) not that anyone will ever acknowledge what actually started it.

don't forget, we're only hearing about the odd Friday afternoon dog here....for every one of these they'll be hundreds if not thousands of bikes running around problem-free!

And yes, I had a Friday afternoon bike from BMW once....one of the first mon-shock R80RT's which had continuous electrical problems that the dealers could never properly solve....grrr!!

Thankfully, the rest of them over my life have been good.

....for every one of these they'll be hundreds if not thousands of bikes running around problem-free!

I was cycling in the Dolomites a couple of weeks ago. There were LOADS of bikes out, streams and streams of them and it seemed like 70% of them were R1200/1250GSs - the Italians / Germans / Austrians love them even more than we do in the UK. It made me wonder just how many of the things are out there, and as you say, the majority running problem-free.

Still, give me an oilhead any day... :D

I was cycling in the Dolomites a couple of weeks ago. There were LOADS of bikes out, streams and streams of them and it seemed like 70% of them were R1200/1250GSs - the Italians / Germans / Austrians love them even more than we do in the UK. It made me wonder just how many of the things are out there, and as you say, the majority running problem-free.

Still, give me an oilhead any day... :D

unless they send the Friday bikes to the UK... I think they still have a grudge ;)

Maybe we should have a register of all bikes P/X to dealers with known faults so prospective buyers can ensure is picked up at time of purchase?

So when you PX your next bike you will tell the dealer all the faults there are with your bike ? What if you are burning a ltr of oil every 1000mls will you tell them that and let them make their PX offer based on that.
It ain't gonna happen.
That's what BMWs 2yr warranty is for.

Why is it a problem?

Bike has a fault - repaired (with new engine). Why keep a log of which bike this has been done to? I'd sooner but a second hand bike with a new engine (as all the faults have been resolved) than one on the original engine (which may have a fault waiting to occur)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

c94ef3e808ddbdbe2cd788a05d5e43a8.jpg

:thumb

So when you PX your next bike you will tell the dealer all the faults there are with your bike ?

When I went to part exchange my 14my GSA for a 16my GS Triple Black I told the dealer that the GSA had recently had a 2017my motor fitted by another dealer due to a tiny dot of corrosion on the reverse side of the right hand barrel.

He went quiet then retorted with "How am I going to explain to any potential buyer that this bike has had a new engine at 12000 miles?"

It didn't seem to dawn on him that this could be used as a selling plus rather than a hindrance to any sale :blast

He even tried to chip me on the price

COCK :D

When I went to part exchange my 14my GSA for a 16my GS Triple Black I told the dealer that the GSA had recently had a 2017my motor fitted by another dealer due to a tiny dot of corrosion on the reverse side of the right hand barrel.

He went quiet then retorted with "How am I going to explain to any potential buyer that this bike has had a new engine at 12000 miles?"

It didn't seem to dawn on him that this could be used as a selling plus rather than a hindrance to any sale :blast

He even tried to chip me on the price

COCK :D

Yep, I would take that as a very big positive :) Bit like when I was trading my 2014 for a 1250, delivery was due when we were supposed to Brexit. One dealer told me, that there might be an import tax on my new bike so cost would rise. I said brilliant, that means my used bike would also be worth more in trade in as its value must also go up. Silence, he said they wouldn't pass any costs on for bikes already ordered :)

don't forget, we're only hearing about the odd Friday afternoon dog here....for every one of these they'll be hundreds if not thousands of bikes running around problem-free!

So you think that every single engine failure is reported on UKGSer, that there couldn't possibly be more worldwide that don't get posted on the internet..
And all the early models that had major engine remedial work done without the owners knowing anything about it ;) .

Back
Top Bottom